Thread  RSS Steven Universe

# 8520 8 years ago on Mon, Jan 4 2016 at 1:58 pm
Post Image

Last year I started to check out the cartoon, "Steven Universe". It's a bit weird but entertaining. These sentient gems from space project solid, holographic, humanoid female forms around themselves and one of them interbred with this guy named Greg. The half-gem kid is named Steven and he's written as being unusually mentally mature for his age.

It's a fun show but a lot of the fan base infers various political overtones from its themes and that gives the show a (possibly unwanted) certain reputation. I'm not interested in whatever political / social messages that are associated with the show or its fans but the characters and plot are fun.

Oh yeah, I did make some fan art last year of the main characters plus another character that may or may not become a main character.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 8534 8 years ago on Mon, Jan 4 2016 at 4:38 pm

Good show. I watch it regularly. The kids like it too, from what I can tell.

I guess it challenges gender stereotypes and gender roles (the three main gems are presenting as female and equally fulfill the role as Steven's mothers) and has all female protagonists with the exception of Steven. If it really was meant to be a "feminist" show, the titular character wouldn't be male. Not that it's a problem.

It's one of those cartoons that can be a little too scary for younger children at times. It's deep and has a lot of back story, which tends to be common in modern cartoon shows, especially ones that run during prime time on the networks. That's probably in part to appeal to older audiences along with young ones.

Want to do speculation? Spoilers? I'll hold off until I get the ok.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 8536 8 years ago on Mon, Jan 4 2016 at 5:04 pm

Want to do speculation? Spoilers? I'll hold off until I get the ok.

Fine by me. I don't think it will be a problem.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 8538 8 years ago on Mon, Jan 4 2016 at 9:09 pm

but a lot of the fan base infers various political overtones from its themes and that gives the show a (possibly unwanted) certain reputation

It's not really my cup of tea but I get the part there about the overtones. The SJW crowd loves it and I guess the writers confirmed a lot of what they claimed. A bunch of stuff about how it defies the dominant male protagonist trope that's supposedly in every other kids' show (I don't see it). Also, the transgenders LOVE it I guess. Hey, to each their own.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

# 8582 8 years ago on Tue, Jan 5 2016 at 7:53 pm

AFAIK, I'm all caught up on the episodes.

Going to speculation, I think, as suggested by Nitro's fan art, that Lapis Lazuli will eventually join up with the Crystal Gems as Peridot has. We'll see who Yellow Diamond is soon and Jasper's going to break free of Lapis. Just my predictions.

I do wish the show would quit making Greg seem so insignificant. He could at least be allowed to live with them and Steven. I'm not sure why he doesn't.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:14

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago