Thread  RSS Eureka Seven

# 8610 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 6 2016 at 4:33 pm

Eureka Seven. Anyone else a fan of this series?

The name (kind of) is taken from a type of digital radio broadcasting standard used in Europe called EUREKA-147. The anime has a lot of modern electronic music themes, which is probably why the title is taken from something related to modern music.

The setting takes place in the year 12005. Humans have moved into space ten thousand years ago because an alien race of a coral-like life form, called "Scub Coral" took over the entire surface of the Earth.

Knowledge about the Scub Coral is kept in the higher echelons of society and most people are kept in the dark about it.

Most of the story is centered around the main character, Renton Thurston, and his interactions with a humanoid manifestation of the Scub Coral named Eureka.

In addition to some really amazing electronic music themes (check out "Get It By Your Hands" in the soundtrack... WOW.) there is a surfing theme where the characters regularly perform an activity called "reffing" (short for reflecting) off an invisible energy field produced by the scub coral. The characters usually reff on large surfboards ridden by giant robots. Renton pilots one giant robot that is actually a living being related to the Scub Coral. It's name is "Nirvash".

There are 50 episodes and one special episode in the original series.

Another series, called Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean, takes place in the same world (sort of). The series gets into a theme of alternate realities and most of its plot centers around spoilers for the original series, so I won't speak of them here (just yet).

Do check it out if you're into robot anime.

(This post was edited 8 years ago on Wednesday, January 6th, 2016 at 4:35 pm)

--

# 8614 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 6 2016 at 6:56 pm

I can vouch that this is a good series but I think it's too long. The story could have been covered in half as many episodes.

BONES has a unique art style that's trademark to them but it isn't my favorite art style. It's not bad but there are animation styles I like better.

Interesting.

# 8651 8 years ago on Fri, Jan 8 2016 at 4:16 pm

I've watched the first few episodes of Astral Ocean but wasn't impressed.

Is the first series a lot better?

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:9

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago