Thread  RSS Switching to Firefox

# 10708 19 years ago on Tue, Apr 19 2005 at 7:12 pm

Using Microsoft products isn't as bad as they make it out to be.

Even so, I prefer the Mac because it's, well, shiney and cool compared to clunky-looking windows

Also, it's more secure because most viruses and spyware are made for windows. Mac users are still the minority so virus writers don't target us as much.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 10709 19 years ago on Wed, Apr 20 2005 at 9:17 am

It's not Microsoft's products that bother me so much, although I agree that they rush them to market before all testing is done.

It's their corporate strategy, which has just recently started to become less effective: to take over all computing so that everyone relies on Microsoft's products for hardware and software compatibility.

If it wasn't for stuff like open-source software, it would still be that way.

# 10710 19 years ago on Wed, Apr 20 2005 at 10:34 am

I pretty much use Firefox exclusively these days. But I wil tell you that IE makes it easier to set your security to "paranoid" mode. With Firefox, you have to turn off javascript and other stuff seperately, and there's no way to turn off Flash, which by the way, is a potential security risk. Malicious programmers can have an swf file run stuff on your machine, so watch out.

# 10711 19 years ago on Wed, Apr 20 2005 at 11:16 pm

Well, another great feature of Firefox is there's so many various plugins available. You don't want Flash content, Kyler? Go get FlashBlock plugin, which replaces flash content on a page with placeholders you have to click first. It makes browsing some sites much saner.

Another good plugins: Web Developer plugin, if you play with HTML, it helps a lot (it also makes disabling Javascript, cookies, and various things easier, since it puts these things in additional menu right on toolbar), ForecastFox (so you can check weather forecast in status bar), gmail notifier (if you use gmail), and there's probably much more I just don't know about, so other suggestions are welcome.

# 10712 19 years ago on Thu, Apr 21 2005 at 9:07 am

Sounds good, Jup. I'm going to go look into that right now

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:3

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago