Thread  RSS The Horton Mine

# 12960 8 years ago on Sat, Mar 5 2016 at 4:57 pm

While the guy in the video calls it "haunted", I'd say it's a looser definition of the word. No ghosts here but some weird things are going on in the video. There has to be a reasonable explanation for it all but it's really captivating.

Alright, so, creepy, but not THAT creepy other than that one chain wildly swinging back and forth. In the next visit to the mine, toward the end, he hears something that sounds to me like a worker's radio... but where could that radio be in there? Someone would have to be nearby or sound is carrying really easily from somewhere else. A radio left in there would have a dead battery by now unless it was really recent.

Yeah, sounds like a radio coming from... somewhere.

# 12963 8 years ago on Sat, Mar 5 2016 at 5:20 pm

Damn buddy, that's some creepy s*** right there. I'm not one to believe in ghosts but something's up with that mine.

I'm sure what that fellow's doing is both highly dangerous and illegal but damn if his videos aren't fascinating as all hell. Urbex vids are a good watch, especially in spooky places like that.

That swinging chain got me more than that weird voice in the second video. WTF is up with that single chain swinging like crazy? At first I thought maybe those chains were hanging there to indicate if there's any movement of the ceiling rocks but then realized multiple chains would move if there were a collapse starting. Also, those chains are there for the ventilation tubing. Damn that was weird.

Post more s*** like this. It's cool.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

# 12966 8 years ago on Sat, Mar 5 2016 at 5:43 pm

Hey that's crazy. It's possible that the ventilation / coal shafts in there are connected somehow to an active mine nearby where they're doing some blasting or other work. You'd be surprised how well sound can travel through a steel or stone corridor. Hard surfaces tend to bounce sound around instead of absorbing it.

My guess is that there was a worker in a nearby connected shaft whose radio was on. The voice and tones sounded like a warning to clear another area (probably unrelated and non-local) for blasting.

That swinging chain - I got nothing for that one.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 12968 8 years ago on Sat, Mar 5 2016 at 7:50 pm

These are great videos. I certainly wouldn't want to do what this guy does but WOW what an adventure.

My first impression regarding the swinging chain was that there was some sort of vibration in the overhead rock, like a car or truck passing on a road overhead.

The voices in the second video were unmistakably from a radio somewhere in the tunnel. The tone of it was a strong indicator that it was coming from a speaker and the reverb was consistent with a stone tunnel. Also, the tones are very familiar as I regularly listen to public safety and worker crew radio. That's definitely a radio. It's still a good mystery as to where that radio was inside the mine and why it was there.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12979 8 years ago on Sun, Mar 6 2016 at 3:15 pm

That's cool but also really dangerous. If it caves in around you, especially if no one else knows you're there at the time, you're going to either be crushed, suffocate, or slowly starve to death in complete darkness. Not a fun way to go.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:9

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago