Locked Thread  RSS Chrome Symphony [OOC] - Episode III

# 13511 8 years ago on Sun, May 1 2016 at 12:08 am

It's slowed down a little bit.

I guess we should talk about exactly what's up with the ball-o-fun up in space, how old it is, and exactly what it's doing.

If we're going to run into some EMA / Crest / military / terrorist nasties, that would be the place!

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 13512 8 years ago on Sun, May 1 2016 at 12:30 am

My idea was that the bowling ball was thousands of years old and emanated not only radio signals but had some weird quantum effects or some other bizarre science fiction. I'm no physicist (Vega, this may be your department) but I had sort of a rough idea that the nano technology that was originally given to Jess (and other recipients of that batch of artificial blood) contained particles that were entangled with particles inside the sphere.

From what little (and I mean little) I know about quantum entanglement, the effects happen instantaneously regardless of distance. This would imply that the sphere's disappearance was more than just a change in location.

Hey, it's science fiction, right? We can get away with a certain amount of pseudo-scientific balderdash, eh?

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 13516 8 years ago on Sun, May 1 2016 at 8:55 am

Entanglement is a dangerous game to play, though. Because, well, it does go into the realm of really weird quantum bulls***. ....And of course, it's REAL.

I actually had a class that went into it a bit, so I can discuss some things about how it works as far as we know and what it might imply. But it's not quite as simple as allowing instantaneous 2-way communication or the like.

In my honest opinion, I'd say this is one of those things that we shouldn't try too hard to explain. Scifi's got this funny sliding scale for me, in which you can either explain everything very well and accurately, or you can explain very little on how anything works and focus simply on that it does. Both approaches work if done well, but can fall flat or break suspension of disbelief (at least for a scientist jerk like me) if done poorly. So, I'd say the Sphere falls into the category of "don't ask how it works." How it does what it does isn't something we should ever need to explain in detail, as if we don't do a good job, people might think "that doesn't make sense." What matters to the story is that it works.

That said, saying it emanates some sort of QM signal or similar is probably not a bad idea. But we might want to just leave it at that.

# 13519 8 years ago on Sun, May 1 2016 at 3:45 pm

I'm good with the sphere's influence on the adepts being a quantum mechanical effect through the nanites. I don't think anyone here besides Vega would be able to explain how it works in any greater detail.

Personally, I'm more interested in fleshing out how the adept phenomenon might be dangerous or detrimental. We might need to come up with a reason why we might want to end the adept stuff (maybe it shortens life spans or there's a greater threat lurking behind it).

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 13534 8 years ago on Mon, May 2 2016 at 9:16 pm

Based on what was discussed in the chat tonight, I wrapped up the meeting and got our group aboard the spacecraft and on our way to the mystery ship. I gathered that Renk wouldn't actually join us on the mission this time around (but would be standby like Jess and Atlas).

(If I got this wrong, Kyler, say so and I'll edit the post accordingly)

I'd like to take a break between chapters again, if that's okay with everybody.

The blue sky is infinitely high, crystal clear...that's what the world should be...a world of infinite possibilities, laid before us, crystal clear"

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:9

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago