Thread  RSS PHP 7

# 13807 7 years ago on Fri, Oct 14 2016 at 12:56 pm

I've been reading up on the new features in PHP 7. Being a PHP developer, it's important to keep up on stuff like this.

Reading through the list of changes to PHP, I've become aware of some features that I don't normally use in the course of web development. PHP has so many features that it's possible to write applications in a wide variety of styles with this language.

Namespaces come to mind, for example. Using my own code libraries, I typically don't need to use namespaces but it's certainly a nice feature to have. A lot of how it works reminds me of Flash Actionscript 3.0 (which is a flavor of ECMAscript if I recall correctly). Also, it's derived from Hypercard - which is a VERY old school system that I learned all the way back in High School! We actually had a Hypercard class; it was fun. Of course, that was less programming and more multimedia... kind of a precursor to web development, in a way.

Hmm. That was quite a tangent. Anyway, PHP7 has a lot of changes in regard to objects. I'm not sure it's as much of a leap as PHP4 was to PHP5 in that department but it's still significant.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 13813 7 years ago on Fri, Oct 14 2016 at 7:44 pm

I'm kind of surprised you're not going in the direction of something like Node.js or C#. Although... lots of sites still use PHP. It's got a bad reputation among programmers, despite that.

(Not that I want to start a flame war, of course)

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 13863 7 years ago on Sat, Nov 5 2016 at 2:51 pm

On Saturday, October 15th, 2016 at 12:44 am, Wolfwood29 said:

... lots of sites still use PHP. It's got a bad reputation among programmers, despite that.

Really? I never got that impression. PHP is heavily used across the Internet.

As for PHP 7, I was skimming over some of the new features. It continues to evolve.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 15645 6 years ago on Sat, Jun 23 2018 at 10:02 am

As long as WordPress sites exist, yeah, PHP's probably sticking around.

I see more and more Node.js and React stuff though. The main thing is not relying on a LAMP stack or similar combination of server-side software and having something that can just spin up its own web server for the sake of easier configuration.

I don't do much web development programming so I wouldn't know for sure. The kind of stuff I do is a lot different.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16297 1 year ago on Mon, Feb 6 2023 at 8:44 pm

Old thread but I just wanted to mention we're on PHP 8.1 now! I upgraded my development environments and production servers over the past year and a half.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:10

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 week ago
Lexica2 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago