Thread  RSS Is YouTube Going Away?

# 15870 5 years ago on Sun, Jul 21 2019 at 5:44 am

Elsa Gate is quite a lot more insidious than that. It's a huge group of YT channels that have videos targeted at children, featuring both animated and live action childrens' show characters, but the subject matter ranges from gross to violent and even sexual. Supposedly they're set up to exploit algorithms and get around filters but they are dangerous since kids using the YT kids' app will end up seeing them. So it's really a big problem for the company as it stands.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 15872 5 years ago on Sun, Jul 21 2019 at 9:31 pm

On Sunday, July 21st, 2019 at 10:44 am, Helena said:

Elsa Gate is quite a lot more insidious than that. It's a huge group of YT channels that have videos targeted at children, featuring both animated and live action childrens' show characters, but the subject matter ranges from gross to violent and even sexual. Supposedly they're set up to exploit algorithms and get around filters but they are dangerous since kids using the YT kids' app will end up seeing them. So it's really a big problem for the company as it stands.

Oh, stuff like that disgusts me. I remember clicking on a Dora one a few years back...

I think some of these are inspired by the unsettling 'Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared' video idea.

I was watching a video on YouTube today and found something that made me sick to my stomach. Basically, there's a group of creeps on YT who watch videos of baby monkeys getting, and fantasize over them getting hurt. That disgusts me (I think part of it is the older brother in me?) more than most things I've ever read. It's pretty disturbing, but a well-known phenomenon.

What I'm trying to say is: This IS definitely something for YouTube to look into...

Have a happy New Year!

# 15873 5 years ago on Sun, Jul 21 2019 at 10:12 pm

The Elsa Gate stuff is really weird. It's hard to tell if it's a bunch of weird folks intentionally trying to corrupt kids or computer-scripted videos made to exploit anomalies in YouTube's algorithms. It wouldn't surprise me too much if most of the animated ones are produced by some kind of neural networks but the live action ones are quite unlikely to be computer generated (perhaps the scripts for them are, however).

It would be nice if every video made available on the YouTube kids' app was manually reviewed and approved. There really is no excuse for allowing the Elsa Gate videos to remain available to kids.

Oh, also, parents should probably monitor what their kids do instead of letting mobile devices be babysitters.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15874 5 years ago on Sun, Jul 21 2019 at 11:41 pm

On Monday, July 22nd, 2019 at 3:12 am, Nitrocosm said:

The Elsa Gate stuff is really weird. It's hard to tell if it's a bunch of weird folks intentionally trying to corrupt kids or computer-scripted videos made to exploit anomalies in YouTube's algorithms. It wouldn't surprise me too much if most of the animated ones are produced by some kind of neural networks but the live action ones are quite unlikely to be computer generated (perhaps the scripts for them are, however).

It would be nice if every video made available on the YouTube kids' app was manually reviewed and approved. There really is no excuse for allowing the Elsa Gate videos to remain available to kids.

Oh, also, parents should probably monitor what their kids do instead of letting mobile devices be babysitters.

I've watched a video explanation. No interest in seeing the actual crap (literally, sadly).

So that explains the Elsa name - I was a bit confused about that. This is sick and gross.

I agree, Nitro - there should be no way this is allowed. It's so sick that kids are sometimes even involved in the production of these vids. I don't want to know how that even happens.

I digress, but why is the world so sick?!?!

Have a happy New Year!

# 15875 5 years ago on Mon, Jul 22 2019 at 8:52 am

Unfortunately there is so much going in that YouTube won’t/can’t remove all of them, without 25 new channels starting up.

I agree with Nitro, parents should stop letting their iPads babysit.

One time I was watching my friends 3 year old and she kept asking for “Elsa tummy”

I didn’t know what to do so I put on Zootopia for her, I found out Later that “Elsa Tummy” was a video that my friend would put on for her, and it was Elsa giving birth and other things. I told my friend that she needs to start monitoring her child’s web use. Another friend of mine told me that she doesn’t ever let her kid watch YouTube without her, and one time she was watching one of those “Lets play” with her grandpa and he turned it off because the dialogue started to get sketchy.

It ranges from the let’s play, to the finders keepers eggs, to even just the videos on how to learn colors.

The creepiest thing is when the videos have comments, but that makes me think it’s a computer algorithm cause the comments are always weird letters, or just a number.

It’s very weird, and I am glad that they are finally investigating it.

YouTube wanted to take all the content offline, and put it solely on there app, but then no one would be able to regulate it through the app. They assume that kids by the age of 13 are on computers, and are usually watching YouTube videos from desktop.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:7

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago