Thread  RSS Is YouTube Going Away?

# 14057 7 years ago on Tue, Apr 4 2017 at 12:37 pm

That's kind of silly, categorizing web users as "mainstream" or otherwise. I don't even know what the criteria for that would be.

About YouTube, it can be a nice place to waste some time and watch cat videos but I don't put much stock in the bulk of the content uploaded there. Mostly click bait and long, boring rants by people who usually don't understand the subject they're discussing.

They should just stick to cat videos.

The blue sky is infinitely high, crystal clear...that's what the world should be...a world of infinite possibilities, laid before us, crystal clear"

# 14070 7 years ago on Fri, Apr 7 2017 at 2:42 am

It looks like YouTube is moving toward its new model far more quickly than we thought.

YouTube TV just launched. Also, YouTube's partner program has changed so that channels with under 10k cumulative views are no longer eligible for monetization on any videos and channels that do meet that requirement have to be manually reviewed for partnership eligibility.

Of course, YouTube has every right to do this and they have to do it to retain advertisers. This does, however, dramatically push the site toward a model where only YouTube Red channels can be monetized.

The theory that they will eventually drop non-monetized channels seems quite plausible considering the massive cost of running the site and maintaining all of that server space.

I would move the prediction of YouTube's transition to a Hulu-style model to within about a year and a half. What do you guys think?

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 14071 7 years ago on Fri, Apr 7 2017 at 2:50 pm

On Saturday, April 1st, 2017 at 5:11 am, TimeTravel_0 said:

Because of the current political and social climate, a lot of fighting over petty issues leads to so much division that, when real a true crisis hits, people are at first unable to work together but after a few tragedies the finger pointing eventually stops and this time period serves as a historical example of how society SHOULDN'T conduct itself.

In light of recent events, it looks like the whole political paradigm is changing. Depending on how things play out, we might see the point in time where people put aside their differences sooner than imagined.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 14073 7 years ago on Fri, Apr 7 2017 at 4:39 pm

With regard to YouTube's future, I would strongly urge people to get used to using smaller sites to host their stuff. Don't trust the "cloud". Use a VPN if you send or receive anything sensitive. Have backup power and backup Internet capability (a pre-paid air card or something similar) if you have vital business to conduct over the network.

Also, look into Wireless mesh networks. Just remember that EMP will destroy both your electronic devices and the power grid. We can't live our entire lives on the Internet to the point where we don't know how to communicate offline.

I'm sorry to hound on this and be so preachy but time is running out.

Tempus Edax Rerum

# 14074 7 years ago on Sat, Apr 8 2017 at 12:51 am

Acknowledged.

Regarding YouTube, another consideration is that non-monetized, non-partner content also competes with paid / partner content in terms of viewing time. This builds a bit more onto the case that regular, non-monetized content's future may be in jeopardy.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:7

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago