Thread  RSS Is YouTube Going Away?

# 14075 7 years ago on Sat, Apr 8 2017 at 3:15 pm

I heard a theory (nothing substantiated) that Jeff Bezos, AT&T, and Verizon all have their own streaming services or competitors to YouTube and they also owned a lot of the companies involved in the advertiser boycott.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 14076 7 years ago on Sat, Apr 8 2017 at 5:12 pm

On Saturday, April 8th, 2017 at 8:15 pm, Wolfwood29 said:

I heard a theory (nothing substantiated) that Jeff Bezos, AT&T, and Verizon all have their own streaming services or competitors to YouTube and they also owned a lot of the companies involved in the advertiser boycott.

That's an interesting theory but as far as I understand it, big companies like Pepsi and Coca-Cola were under political pressure from various groups to boycott YouTube because if they didn't there would be a massive social media campaign to demonize these companies as supporters of hateful and offensive content simply because their ads ran against such videos.

Mob justice. It's not really justice at all. Of course we just saw what happened to Pepsi when they tried to overcompensate in response to the political pressure. It blew up in their face.

(This post was edited 7 years ago on Saturday, April 8th, 2017 at 5:14 pm)

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 15601 6 years ago on Sat, Dec 30 2017 at 5:30 pm

On Saturday, April 1st, 2017 at 5:11 am, TimeTravel_0 said:

10 years from now, political bickering online will have more or less ceased as it's seen as unproductive and an exercise in frustration.

You might expect people to just retreat to private conversations or "echo chambers" as they are called today but people actually learn to drop their arguments and try to work together.

Because of the current political and social climate, a lot of fighting over petty issues leads to so much division that, when real a true crisis hits, people are at first unable to work together but after a few tragedies the finger pointing eventually stops and this time period serves as a historical example of how society SHOULDN'T conduct itself.

There will be a time where the Internet is more or less shunned because of the bitter taste left in many peoples' mouths before people eventually attempt to put aside their differences. Sadly, it's too little and too late.

The problem with predictions is that so many variables make it virtually impossible. Yes, these predictions will doubtlessly be true. They will also be false because they are not universal predictions. YouTube (and sites like it) will come and go. The same can be said for political factions and systems of belief. Just look at history, Mr. Titor.

Rather than being confrontational, I simply wish to inject a different perspective, here. If we're talking about predicting events in a singular timeline, that's like predicting the exact point that ripples in a pond will collide during a thunderstorm. There are too many variables and narrowing down an exact tangent point is infeasible. You end up being neither correct nor incorrect, of course. Not to get all Schrödinger on you, however.

The general trend will be a slow decentralization. This doesn't apply strictly to the Internet but to society overall. I'd argue that one doesn't even need a pan-temporal vista to comprehend this, either.

Cheers

# 15602 6 years ago on Sat, Dec 30 2017 at 8:52 pm

Lexica, I understand where you're coming from in regard to making predictions. According to what you've told me regarding probability, it's more wave-like than a road map of definite future events. In any model, however, we just cannot know for sure.

Regarding YouTube, they're still the biggest game in town for now. Vidme just shut down earlier this month although Vimeo and Dailymotion are still around, among others. I think it's interesting to note the longevity of these sites and how they've managed to stay afloat while not being considered serious competitors with YouTube (by most standards). That's an interesting situation by itself.

As long as YouTube isn't profitable for Alphabet / Google, I'd say that the risk of user-generated content being eliminated (eventually) is still very real.

About the political factions... that's almost completely unrelated to YouTube's long-term survival although they've apparently been under pressure to remove certain kinds of political content due to advertiser boycotts.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15604 6 years ago on Mon, Jan 1 2018 at 8:17 pm

This conversation is getting really confusing. I thought we were talking about YouTube but it gets all weird:

On Saturday, December 30th, 2017 at 10:30 pm, Lexica said:

The problem with predictions is that so many variables make it virtually impossible. Yes, these predictions will doubtlessly be true. They will also be false because they are not universal predictions. YouTube (and sites like it) will come and go. The same can be said for political factions and systems of belief. Just look at history, Mr. Titor.

Whaaa?!! It sounds like deliberate self-contradiction. How can something be both true and false at the same time (unless it's some kind of riddle that's totally going over my head here?!)

Rather than being confrontational, I simply wish to inject a different perspective, here. If we're talking about predicting events in a singular timeline, that's like predicting the exact point that ripples in a pond will collide during a thunderstorm. There are too many variables and narrowing down an exact tangent point is infeasible. You end up being neither correct nor incorrect, of course. Not to get all Schrödinger on you, however.

The general trend will be a slow decentralization. This doesn't apply strictly to the Internet but to society overall. I'd argue that one doesn't even need a pan-temporal vista to comprehend this, either.

Lexica, are you one of those Markov bots? raspberry

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:8

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago