Thread  RSS I saw this thing in an unsettling dream.

# 15579 6 years ago on Tue, Nov 7 2017 at 11:11 am

There is a phenomenon called "Pareidolia" by which the human brain thinks it recognizes patterns (especially human faces) that aren't actually there. It does look like a grumpy (or maybe apathetic) looking cyclops! Just like this, but only with one eye: silent

Beyond that, the above element looks like an upper case variant of the Greek letter Theta ( ϴ ), where the central stroke isn't connected to the ring. If it was upside down (the stroke/bar above), it could also double as a numeral in classical Greek specifically the number 9. Keep in mind that the numerals we use today were originally invented in India, and didn't reach Europe until the end of the Middle Ages, via the route of Arabia (which is why we call them "Arab numerals"). Most importantly, the ancient Greeks didn't know the concept of "zero" yet.

On Thursday, March 30th, 2017 at 10:55 pm, Helena said:

Last night I had a bad dream.

Some of it I don't clearly remember but I was in some kind of small church or chapel with no windows. It was really... I don't know how to describe it, kind of warm like the air was thick.

There were some papers over on one of the tables and I saw this symbol. It was an oval with a dot in the middle and a line underneath the whole thing. It was on all of the papers.

Does this symbol mean anything to anybody? it's bugging me.

(This post was edited 6 years ago on Tuesday, November 7th, 2017 at 11:12 am)

# 15580 6 years ago on Fri, Nov 10 2017 at 2:42 pm

I'd say it's probably the Greek "9". In my old house, there was a similar symbol (without the line) written in permanent marker on the underside of the top step on the basement stairs. One had to use a flashlight to see it, of course.

Pareidolia is an interesting phenomenon, as is apophenia, from which I frequently suffer. wink

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15581 6 years ago on Sat, Nov 11 2017 at 5:18 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw it was that it was a modified "theta".

# 15589 6 years ago on Fri, Nov 24 2017 at 4:13 am

On Saturday, November 11th, 2017 at 10:18 pm, Kyler said:

The first thing I thought when I saw it was that it was a modified "theta".

Yeah Kyler I was kind of thinking that too. A couple days before the dream I had been looking through old textbooks that contained a lot of Greek, so that makes sense. yay

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 15590 6 years ago on Tue, Nov 28 2017 at 12:04 am

On Friday, November 24th, 2017 at 9:13 am, Helena said:

Yeah Kyler I was kind of thinking that too. A couple days before the dream I had been looking through old textbooks that contained a lot of Greek, so that makes sense. yay

Dreams do have a way of taking recent information in the brain and re-arranging it in unpredictable ways. If you'd been looking at Greek symbols, that fairly well explains it. grin

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:8

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago