Thread  RSS Sat nav for bread wheat uncovers hidden genes

# 14096 7 years ago on Tue, Apr 18 2017 at 5:14 pm

This was recently in the news.

Scientists have created the most accurate navigation system for the bread wheat genome to date—allowing academics and breeders to analyse its genes more easily than ever before.

Here's the rest of the story. user link on phys.org

I'll keep watching this.

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.

-- Paul Valery

# 14098 7 years ago on Thu, Apr 20 2017 at 9:38 am

I now know that bread likes to travel and uses GPS.

Learn something new every day...

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 14100 7 years ago on Fri, Apr 21 2017 at 6:18 am

Bread that gets around. I'd be wary of mold.

Interesting, though. The whole GMO thing is an interesting debate, too. The genetic modification itself is probably fine but the residual pesticides make me wonder.

I know; I know... it's "anti-science" to question the safety of GMOs, isn't it?

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 14101 7 years ago on Fri, Apr 21 2017 at 9:38 am

On Friday, April 21st, 2017 at 11:18 am, Nitrocosm said:

I know; I know... it's "anti-science" to question the safety of GMOs, isn't it?

Yes, it is. There is no credible evidence that genetically modified foods are in any way harmful. Claims to the contrary have been debunked.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 14129 7 years ago on Tue, May 2 2017 at 7:57 pm

On Friday, April 21st, 2017 at 2:38 pm, Miroku said:

Yes, it is. There is no credible evidence that genetically modified foods are in any way harmful. Claims to the contrary have been debunked.

Hmm, maybe not. Some GMO's have been around long enough to be considered safe but there are some things, like Aspartame (produced by genetically modified bacteria) that have mixed results in lab safety tests.

I'll agree that most GMOs are probably okay since we've been eating them for decades now. As long as the pesticides are not detected in the final product (they are washed really well and the chemicals weren't absorbed) they're probably fine.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:9

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago