Locked Thread  RSS Total Solar Eclipse 8-21-2017

# 15530 7 years ago on Sun, Sep 10 2017 at 2:06 am

On Saturday, September 9th, 2017 at 5:52 am, sloop said:

The Carrington flare was an X30+. What's been going on recently doesn't even compare to that.

True. Keep in mind that only telegraphs existed at the time and they were destroyed. Electronics today are much more sensitive and it wouldn't take quite as strong an EMP to wreak serious havoc.

I'll grant you an X9 isn't going to wipe out the grid. It's like the Richter or enhanced Fujita scale - it's logarithmic.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 15531 7 years ago on Sun, Sep 10 2017 at 10:52 pm

The recent (and ongoing) solar storm was very, very unexpected. I look forward to hearing about the findings in regard to Sol's sudden change in activity.

Tempus Edax Rerum

# 15532 7 years ago on Mon, Sep 11 2017 at 2:44 pm

On Monday, September 11th, 2017 at 3:52 am, TimeTravel_0 said:

The recent (and ongoing) solar storm was very, very unexpected. I look forward to hearing about the findings in regard to Sol's sudden change in activity.

The Aurora Borealis could be seen fairly far south. We almost never see it around here but I missed it the other night when apparently there was a good light show in the night sky.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 15534 7 years ago on Mon, Sep 11 2017 at 5:14 pm

I've seen the Northern lights from time to time. You really have to get out and away from the city due to all of the light pollution and they're unpredictable so you have to be outdoors for a few hours to catch them.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 15536 7 years ago on Mon, Sep 18 2017 at 12:32 am

You're lucky. It's a rarity even in the northern part of my state.

Usually when there's a big solar flare it's possible to catch a glimpse here if you're lucky, but it's not too common.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:8

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago