Thread  RSS Mirai Nikki

# 15213 7 years ago on Fri, Aug 11 2017 at 9:35 pm

Anyone seen "The Future Diary", aka Mirai Nikki?

It's about this loner guy Yuki who "meditates" in his room to talk to a being he considers to be god. This weird "god" being gives him the ability to tell the near future through a digital journal kept on his phone.

There are several other unknown people in his city who have phones imbued with this feature. If one of the future diary phones is destroyed, the owner not only dies but they are obliterated physically.

The main character, Yuki, has a stalker, who is the main supporting role throughout the series. Yuno, his stalker, is completely obsessed with him for reasons that become clear later in the story.

The show is dark and violent, though interesting. It may not be for everyone as it does have some rape scenes, too. It reminded me a little of Death Note in some ways.

Do I recommend it? Yes with a caviat that it contains material not suitable for everybody.

Interesting.

# 15215 7 years ago on Fri, Aug 11 2017 at 10:53 pm

I've watched this series.

The overall concept is cool. I like the idea of data traveling backward in time, a la Steins;Gate. While Yuki doesn't have to microwave bananas, sometimes it seems that Yuno wants to microwave his.

...ahem.

It's addictive to watch even if there are some moments that just make you want to turn away for a bit. I'm not really a fan of a certain character's arc (or some of the things that happen in those episodes) and the overall story doesn't live up to its potential. The art is amazing and the music is, too. The opening theme is cool, especially. Yuno can be downright terrifying.

Now, would I watch it again? Maybe. It's like Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. I'd watch it again but only after it's long enough that I've forgotten most of the episodes. That is to say it's better than Evangelion, which I don't think I could watch again.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15340 7 years ago on Sat, Aug 12 2017 at 9:15 pm

I avoid this series for the same reason I avoid Elfen Lied. Infamous... scene. Yep.

Not criticizing it for being graphic because a lot of good anime have some graphic violence, if it's done in a good context. It's just certain themes / subjects don't appeal to me.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 15365 7 years ago on Sun, Aug 13 2017 at 3:30 am

I've seen this.

Miroku, I know what you mean about certain scenes but that aside it's a killer series. The idea behind it is cool (cell phones with text from the future) and the way the characters fight to become God plays out in an interesting way.

Aside from that there's several sub-plots that make the series even more interesting. It's a little violent and yes, disturbing in parts, but I actually really liked it.

I especially love spoiler (click to show):

the way that Yuno kind of grows on Yuki

and... oh, better not spoilers...

spoiler (click to show):

Yuki ends up reciprocating Yuno's feelings toward him.

I'd recommend it.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 15416 7 years ago on Wed, Aug 16 2017 at 8:15 am

Yes Helena the plot element you mentioned in the spoiler tags is a centerpiece of how the story unfolds. The main character's attitude and how it changes given his new circumstances, however over-the-top they are, I think is what gives him the ability to rise to the challenges toward the end.

I think the ending of the series, before the specials, was depressing but unlike some other anime the writers didn't want it to end entirely on a bad note. The actual ending of the story made me smile ear to ear like a huge idiot. proud

Interesting.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:15

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago