Thread  RSS 2214 Visual Novel!

# 15648 6 years ago on Mon, Aug 6 2018 at 10:36 am

Saturday morning, the inspiration suddenly hit me to create a visual novel "engine" using HTML5, CSS3, and Javascript. Flash had been deprecated for years so I never really seriously considered making a system based on Flash.

When I started drawing 2214 in 2003, an online web comic was the best option at the time. Web standards were not really conducive to multimedia (aside from Flash) and my computer programming skills were not good enough to write a visual novel engine. Eh, maybe they still aren't but I managed to put something together.

Back in 2003, web comics were far more popular than they are now. 2214, however, was never very well suited for the comic / manga format and the presentation was horribly constrained by the medium. Of course, my drawing skills held the story back just as much as the format itself.

Well, 2214 will now get a "reboot" as a visual novel. It will be at the old site, virulyde.com (user link on www.virulyde.com), which those of you who were around at the very beginning will likely remember as the original home of the web comic.

I do not know what the update schedule will be quite yet. It will of course start very soon but "Obfuscated Trace Echo" will (eventually) continue as well.

Please watch this space and check virulyde.com from time to time. The visual novel format may allow for better and more incremental updates. This should be fun.

If you have any suggestions regarding the visual novel site engine, please post them here or join the Discord server.

(This post was edited 6 years ago on Wednesday, August 8th, 2018 at 1:47 pm)

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15649 6 years ago on Wed, Aug 15 2018 at 3:09 am

Cool! The new format is unexpected but it's something I'll have to keep an eye on. I do like that it's going to elaborate more and it might go in another direction than the comic. Because otherwise it's already been spoiled raspberry

I like it. The link works but the embed seems broken because of some HTTPS whining, just FYI.

(This post was edited 6 years ago on Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 at 3:10 am)

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 15652 6 years ago on Thu, Aug 16 2018 at 3:28 pm

I was never a reader of 2214 so no spoilers for me. I'll keep an eye on this space. What's the best way to get updates?

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

# 15654 6 years ago on Thu, Aug 16 2018 at 3:34 pm

On Thursday, August 16th, 2018 at 8:28 pm, SirAuron said:

I was never a reader of 2214 so no spoilers for me. I'll keep an eye on this space. What's the best way to get updates?

I can put something together that ingests the VN script files and produces an RSS feed yay

I'll post a link here once that's done.

UPDATE:

Here is the RSS link for the visual novel! user link on www.virulyde.com http://www.virulyde.com/rss

(This post was edited 6 years ago on Thursday, August 16th, 2018 at 4:33 pm)

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15655 6 years ago on Wed, Aug 29 2018 at 11:37 am

Exciting so far. I already noticed some deviation from the original story. I wonder how Bus and Ravenna will decide to sneak out this time..?

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:10

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago