Thread  RSS U.S. government, tech industry discussing ways to use smartphone location data to combat

# 16034 4 years ago on Tue, Mar 17 2020 at 5:14 pm

How about this?!

U.S. government, tech industry discussing ways to use smartphone location data to combat coronavirus  The Washington PostFacebook, Reddit, Google, LinkedIn, Microsoft, Twitter and YouTube issue joint statement on misinformation  TechCrunchAmid coronavirus, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter and other tech companies ask for help to fight 'misinformation'  USA TODAYU.S. tech firms work together to combat virus misinformation  ReutersCoronavirus: Tech rivals Facebook, Google and Microsoft release unprecedented joint statement on ‘fake news’  Yahoo SportsView Full Coverage on Google News

Source - user link on news.google.com

Um... so, yeah.

Management works within the system. Leadership works on the system.

-- Unknown Author

# 16037 4 years ago on Sat, Mar 21 2020 at 3:37 pm

Big brother-ish but the data used in aggregate can be really useful. Just think of how Google Maps lets you see what the traffic is like... that's from tracking everyone's phone.

I think we're ultimately going to have to assume every person is a potential carrier, sadly.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16042 4 years ago on Mon, May 11 2020 at 8:54 pm

There's been more about this recently in the news too. It's voluntary as far as I know but I guess that could change.?

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 16048 4 years ago on Tue, Jun 9 2020 at 1:26 pm

It seems like a nice idea on the surface but I could see this kind of thing being too tempting to abuse. Look at how China's government uses these kinds of apps and the whole "social credit score" thing.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16050 4 years ago on Sat, Jul 4 2020 at 10:17 pm

On Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 at 6:26 pm, Wolfwood29 said:

It seems like a nice idea on the surface but I could see this kind of thing being too tempting to abuse. Look at how China's government uses these kinds of apps and the whole "social credit score" thing.

Doubt it will go that far. I haven't heard *anything* about it being made mandatory. Mask wearing, yes, but not tracking.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:4

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago