Thread  RSS Time Traveler ID

# 10367 18 years ago on Sun, Jun 18 2006 at 4:02 am

Kyler, I'm pretty sure anyone in a position to use your private information against you will have a more reliable source of said information than ripping it from a graphic posted in a forum. proud

# 10368 18 years ago on Sun, Jun 18 2006 at 2:53 pm

If it isn't in an obvious form, such as plain text, it won't catch the eyes of identity thieves. Normally, they would have to intentionally seek you out in order to get your personal info; those who want to do that can do it through a number of channels (free credit reports from less-than-honest sites, government web sites with careless posting of "public" documents).

By the way, the best thing to do is keep an eye on your bank accounts frequently. Tell the bank if *anything* suspicious shows up.

As you probably know, anyone who registers a domain name has his or her address and phone number made public. I get solicitors calling me on my cell phone asking, "Is this the owner of Nitrocosm.com?" and selling me advertising.

I usually tell them to never call back; they often refuse to tell me where they got my information... but it's most likely through a simple whois lookup.

--------------------------------

User Image

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 10369 18 years ago on Wed, Jun 21 2006 at 11:34 pm

Funny, I never get anything like that, aside from one piece of junk mail once. (People still send actual physical junk mail? Seems expensive...) But my domain predates my cell phone, for all I know my parents get bugged al lthe time on the landline... (That's also the reason my personal info is public. Any idiot can look up brimzero.com on whois and get that same information, and I live in friggin' Texas Lite anyhow. You have my address, I have a Make My Day Law. evil

I do sometimes get spam from "the brimzero.com admin." Um... okaaaayyy....no

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:5

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago