Thread  RSS Song by the McQuinn Bros.

# 10616 19 years ago on Sat, Mar 12 2005 at 5:27 am

That's pretty sweet dude. What program do you use to record?

# 10617 19 years ago on Sat, Mar 12 2005 at 12:48 pm

We used a Roland VS-840 multitrack recorder for the drums and guitar, and I put together the MIDI parts (synths and bass) using Cakewalk Pro Audio. Normally, I use Cakewalk 3.0, because Pro Audio is sloppy as far as the boundaries of measures goes. Stuff gets pulled out of sync all the time in there. That's part of the reason why the bass was off, too.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 10618 19 years ago on Wed, Apr 6 2005 at 4:53 pm

Finally got around to checking this out... DL gave me enough time for a few races in Need for Speed III. I lub my Diabo.

I don't think the bass is off, but the drums seem to be just a bit behind the beat. Did you do the drums live or loop 'em? (Ugh, drum loops.) The drums sound pretty real for a machine, but the timing seems mechanical. (Heh, found this on an unofficial website: "Easy to use and understand - Very drummer friendly" Way to insult potential customers)

Great job on this, though i agree that the bass is too loud. (Actually, when i play it back to back with most of my other MP3s, it seems more like the bass is fine but everything else is too low)

# 10619 19 years ago on Thu, Apr 7 2005 at 11:09 am

You know what's funny? The drums are Roland V-drums, which are basically set up like real drums but each drum is an electronic, velocity-sensitive unit rather than an accoustic drum. Dan played them live and we recorded them un-quantized. It's funny since it's one of the few songs in which the drum tracks are not MIDI. I guess the fact they sound mechanical actually reflects on Dan's good sense of rhythm, or something. He was using a click track for reference, however.

And loops? Perish the thought! I would never use loops or anything pre-made. That is cheating, in my opinion.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 10620 19 years ago on Fri, Apr 8 2005 at 1:55 am

F***ing awesome. Got a real airy feel to it.

And the bass sounds fine in my headphones. Also, good use of stereo. Each instrument has its own place in the mix, and they fit well together.

The drums do sound like they're dragging in places.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:7

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago