Thread  RSS Making Backups

# 11659 8 years ago on Tue, Jan 19 2016 at 2:59 am

There's no such thing as too many backups. Especially when your backups (or lack thereof) affect other people. Get what I'm saying? wink

On a side note, that TekThing video series looks good.

Interesting.

# 11710 8 years ago on Tue, Jan 19 2016 at 7:58 am

I'm going to come off as a little harsh, so be warned.

Yes, you absolutely should keep as many backups as reasonably possible, especially when you are hosting content by and for others and not just yourself. That includes work-related and academic materials (obviously), in some cases you are *legally bound* to make all good-faith efforts to ensure the life of the data.

When it comes to hosting a web site that other people use and to which others contribute content, you are *ethically* obligated to make backups and make reasonable efforts to preserve its life and availability. If cost is a factor, you can ask for donations.

What isn't acceptable, in my view, is to choose to delete the web site and the information within it when others contribute to the content. I find that unethical and it discourages people from participating. Maybe others hinted at this but I wanted to make it clear, because it's important. If you no longer want to host it, you should, at the very minimum, give someone else a copy of the data in case someone else wishes to host the site.

So what I'm saying is, yes, of course you should be a little overboard with making backups when it comes to content that doesn't belong solely to you. You should also understand the responsibility of hosting that information.

I'm not angry or upset but it's important that someone says this.

# 11719 8 years ago on Tue, Jan 19 2016 at 9:36 pm

Nah, that's not harsh, Kyler. You're right. If anything, perhaps it's blunt but that' ok.

I acknowledge that being so cavalier with handling the forums was ill-advised and irresponsible. In an effort to restore good faith and trust, an XML backup feature has been included in the new system.

One thing in which you should probably be cautious is not to speak for others, please. While I don't disagree with your points, please let the others speak for themselves and do not use a "spokesperson" tone. It may come across as belittling.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 11766 8 years ago on Thu, Jan 21 2016 at 10:51 am

Huh. I didn't realize I came across that way. Certainly, that wasn't intended! Please don't think that's how I meant it. I'd just noticed that no one else had mentioned it, that's all.

It's nice that you're going the extra mile in preserving the backups and making them available. Sounds like you're taking the proactive approach to it. yes

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:11

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago