Locked Thread  RSS Total Solar Eclipse 8-21-2017

# 14501 7 years ago on Mon, Aug 7 2017 at 11:27 pm

If you haven't already heard, there is going to be a total (for some parts of the United States) solar eclipse on the 21st of this month:

user link on www.space.com

I know people around here are smart enough to know better but there are a lot of people who suffer permanent eye damage because they don't practice the proper safety for viewing the eclipse. Obviously, don't look directly at the sun, even through a welding mask. Use a pinhole box viewer:

user link on www.space.com

The eclipse will be at totality over the Eastern United States around 14:42 EDT on August 21, 2017. You might want to get some eclipse-viewing glasses because the next one won't be until 2024. wink

# 14554 7 years ago on Tue, Aug 8 2017 at 2:40 am

Hey Kyler are you sure a welding mask isn't okay for looking at the sun? It was my understanding that it was good enough to prevent harm to the eyes. I have a welding mask (it's the full-face covering type with a DARK lens that you can't see through in normal daylight) that I was pretty sure was safe to use for eclipse watching.

# 15218 7 years ago on Fri, Aug 11 2017 at 10:59 pm

I should probably set an alarm or mark my calendar so I don't forget to look outside when it happens. No eclipse viewing glasses are in my possession so I won't be able to view it directly.

Regarding the welding goggles, I've always heard that as long as they are above a certain spec, they are safe for viewing the eclipse but don't take my word for it, sloop.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15329 7 years ago on Sat, Aug 12 2017 at 7:25 am

Sadly I'm too far North to really see any of it.

That's okay though because there's going to be a ton of video footage online. What with everybody having cameras in their phones that they can burn up by pointing them at the sun without a filter raspberry

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 15339 7 years ago on Sat, Aug 12 2017 at 8:17 pm

I'm going to try to find some eclipse viewing glasses the next time I make a trip to the store. It would be really cool to watch this, even if I only see a partial eclipse up here.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:9

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago