Locked Thread  RSS Total Solar Eclipse 8-21-2017

# 15499 7 years ago on Wed, Aug 23 2017 at 12:09 pm

The eclipse was amazing. We went up to Oregon to see it on the West coast.

This is almost a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing and I feel really bad for anybody who managed to miss it.

If you want to shine like a sun, first burn like a sun.

# 15502 7 years ago on Wed, Aug 23 2017 at 3:36 pm

On Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 at 5:09 pm, Quaz said:

This is almost a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing and I feel really bad for anybody who managed to miss it.

Sadly, I missed it. There wasn't much of an eclipse from where I live anyway. It's fine with me - there are videos all over the place of it that are much better than what I could have seen anyway.

The blue sky is infinitely high, crystal clear...that's what the world should be...a world of infinite possibilities, laid before us, crystal clear"

# 15517 7 years ago on Thu, Aug 31 2017 at 12:43 am

On Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 at 8:36 pm, KarmaJolt said:

Sadly, I missed it. There wasn't much of an eclipse from where I live anyway. It's fine with me - there are videos all over the place of it that are much better than what I could have seen anyway.

Sorry to hear that but at least there's no shortage of video of the event.

I should probably get around to posting what I took.

If you want to shine like a sun, first burn like a sun.

# 15526 7 years ago on Fri, Sep 8 2017 at 3:54 pm

That would be cool to see the photos you took of the eclipse, Quaz.

How about this recent solar flare activity? I've been following those developments and it looks like HF band communications have been somewhat disrupted. The SWPC Product Subscription Service has been issuing quite a few warnings lately.

Let's just hope that we avoid another Carrington event until the grid is somehow hardened against this kind of thing. Back in July 2012 there was a flare of comparable size but it missed the Earth by about nine days.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15529 7 years ago on Sat, Sep 9 2017 at 12:52 am

On Friday, September 8th, 2017 at 8:54 pm, Nitrocosm said:

Let's just hope that we avoid another Carrington event until the grid is somehow hardened against this kind of thing. Back in July 2012 there was a flare of comparable size but it missed the Earth by about nine days.

The Carrington flare was an X30+. What's been going on recently doesn't even compare to that.

If we're unlucky to get a direct hit to the Northern Hemisphere by one that strong, billions will die because things like water purification and essential services for food production and medical care will be lost for decades.

Pray that doesn't happen.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:7

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago