Thread  RSS Covid Vaccine Requirements

# 16097 3 months ago on Tue, Aug 3 2021 at 12:39 pm

I thought this might be a good place to discuss this seeing as everyone on here can discuss maturely and we may get some interesting opinions.

So, I could've made this topic a year ago about all the Covid mandates, but I feel like this is the craziest yet: Places requiring you be vaccinated to go inside.

It started with individual shops (which is fair enough as it's their business), but now I've seen stories about it being required in New York for indoor events and in Australia by the end of the year.

What does everyone think about this? I am glad we've developed a vaccine for those in need, but I'm at a loss as to how we should mandate it - ever, but especially when it's experimental. Most of my family has it, but I honestly don't want it at my age and given my health so I just don't get it. I miss when all health decisions were actual decisions, not being coerced into doing particular things.

I understood the point behind the initial two-week lockdown, but since that it's felt like we're in crazy town. No school for an entire year, businesses forced to close, etc. It's a bad virus, but it's not the plague and I can't believe it's changing the world as we know it frown

Have a happy New Year!

# 16098 3 months ago on Tue, Aug 3 2021 at 1:29 pm

It's definitely a very, very sensitive topic.

At the risk of getting myself in trouble, I'll be honest about my opinion. It should be optional. It's not so much about this particular vaccine but setting the precedent that people can be forced or coerced to take any type of medication. I do think that private businesses and institutions are legally within their rights if they want to require vaccines for employees.

Taking every reasonable precaution to prevent the spread of the virus is a good idea (wearing a mask, keeping distance, avoiding mass indoor gatherings, etc.) but there have been some overreaches of governments around the world that I find alarming.

The only real advice I can give on the vaccine is: Talk to your doctor! Don't let random people on the Internet, celebrities, the media (mainstream OR alternative), or government officials make your health decisions for you. Doctors know best.

Generally, I think vaccines are quite effective and mostly safe. There are some cases where people have bad reactions but those cases are rare as far as I know. Again, one's doctor should know about any potential issues. Outright coercion and mandates bother me.

It's my understanding that the vaccine is effective in reducing the severity of the illness but it does not prevent the spread. I could be wrong and I am definitely not a doctor.

By the way, I've had the Moderna shots a few months ago and had zero side effects. Not even soreness. I decided to get them of my own free will after researching mRNA technology and understood that I was taking part in an important experiment. Still, I am going to avoid public places and crowds because there *are* breakthrough infections taking place.

Let's please keep any discussion of this topic civil, everyone. I know it's very controversial.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 16099 3 months ago on Tue, Aug 3 2021 at 2:46 pm

Ehhhhhh...... this is a tough one.

Alright, both my wife and me have had the jabs, Pfizer in my case. I actually felt like crap for about a week afterwards. My wife just a couple days plus soreness. BUT.... the place where I worked made it mandatory about a month ago and three people in my office actually had some nasty reactions to their shots and one was in the hospital for a couple weeks from a blood clot. So the side-effects do exist and it's no joke.

IMO, I guess it's okay if it's mandatory only if it's proven to be effective in stopping the spread. I hear conflicting things in the news. First it helps stop the spread, then I hear you can still get it, then I hear about this new Delta variant even among the vaccinated, so I don't have a clue.

Maybe hold off on making it mandatory until we have better data on how effective it is? I get that we had to rush it but there's a point where it's irresponsible to make people with certain conditions think it's okay and then they end up having a heart attack (though it's rare like has been said before). I also get that the pandemic is an emergency but even in a fire you have to stop and think for a sec about the safest path to an exit.

And yeah saying this could get me in trouble with work which is why I never post under my real name.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16100 3 months ago on Wed, Aug 4 2021 at 8:39 am

Um, you do realize that the variants exist because of the large number of un-vaccinated, right? Just saying.

Get vaccinated. The longer you wait, the worse the problem gets.

Yes, my whole family and I have been vaccinated (Pfizer). All of us went together and we all felt crummy for a few days but got over it.

It's your civic duty. Do your part and get vaccinated, please. I'm in favor of making it mandatory for everybody, too.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 16101 3 months ago on Wed, Aug 4 2021 at 1:22 pm

Get familiar with the Greek alphabet.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:8

Most Recently Online
Kyler5 days ago