Thread  RSS Covid Vaccine Requirements

# 16155 3 months ago on Tue, Aug 10 2021 at 2:11 pm

Re: the quarantine camps, I didn't think that was really something that was going to happen, either. Pretty crazy. Sounds like something from a movie.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 16157 2 months ago on Sat, Aug 14 2021 at 2:21 am

Yeah, I'll admit I'm very nervous about the developments over the last couple of the weeks.

I'm also getting freaked by certain states (so far California and New York) mandating evidence of vaccination to simply go into stores and gyms... that's crazy to me. There's also a very big movement going on in New York right now to potentially combat these rules. I've been following that a bit, it's interesting.

I'm genuinely curious to hear opinions on if people think, once the pandemic is finally officially over (and I constantly try to remind myself it will be one day) will these measures stay in place. It all feels so permanent right now, but maybe I'm making this much worse than it actually will be mentally and this is just a short-term thing. My instinct is that this will never end, but that is admittedly an illogical way to feel and likely just based in my own feelings of dread right now, to be honest.

That's not to undermine the fact that many Covid measures have lasted much longer than I expected and some of the things people laughed off as conspiracy have recently manifested themselves. So I definitely can't be certain that this will all end, but I'm trying to be positive for a change (believe it or not).

Anyway, any thoughts on longevity of this?

Have a happy New Year!

# 16158 2 months ago on Sat, Aug 14 2021 at 6:54 pm

The vaccine passports were considered a conspiracy theory last year but they are a reality now. Some have said this could easily be turned into a Chinese style social credit score system but that remains to be seen. I'd need some more evidence of that intent, though.

Businesses most likely have the right to discriminate based on vaccination status but it may end up harming some businesses. Perhaps masks and social distancing should always be required until or unless the pandemic ends. The cloth masks may not be effective and we might have to use the N95 masks, though.

I definitely encourage vaccination for all who can safely get it but, again, I'm not sure it's going to make masks and distancing unnecessary.

There is a trend toward authoritarianism in all of this and I don't see it being reversed even if the pandemic ends. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 16159 2 months ago on Sun, Aug 15 2021 at 7:21 am

On Saturday, August 14th, 2021 at 7:21 am, bates said:

Yeah, I'll admit I'm very nervous about the developments over the last couple of the weeks.

I'm also getting freaked by certain states (so far California and New York) mandating evidence of vaccination to simply go into stores and gyms... that's crazy to me. There's also a very big movement going on in New York right now to potentially combat these rules. I've been following that a bit, it's interesting.

I'm genuinely curious to hear opinions on if people think, once the pandemic is finally officially over (and I constantly try to remind myself it will be one day) will these measures stay in place. It all feels so permanent right now, but maybe I'm making this much worse than it actually will be mentally and this is just a short-term thing. My instinct is that this will never end, but that is admittedly an illogical way to feel and likely just based in my own feelings of dread right now, to be honest.

That's not to undermine the fact that many Covid measures have lasted much longer than I expected and some of the things people laughed off as conspiracy have recently manifested themselves. So I definitely can't be certain that this will all end, but I'm trying to be positive for a change (believe it or not).

I'd like to ask: how long did you expect this to drag on? I was under the impression - after the first lockdown - that we would basically remain under such a 'stage of siege' from the virus until we had developed and disseminated vaccines - and disseminated them to a level that we'd achieve herd immunity. What other pathway was there? The latter part - with the emergence of the delta variant - has made that outlook more unlikely anytime soon.

Relating to the above, I personally fear that things will drag on for a considerable time for several reasons: large parts of the world have received little amounts of vaccine so far. As long as not the majority of the world's population are vaccinated, and there's the possibility that new virus variants will emerge, this will be continuing. The delta variant rages in areas that previously managed to contain the virus (Southeast Asia, for example). And you have a situation that vaccination rates in countries are quite uneven: as I recall there's four states in the US in particular (Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Florida) that have low vaccination rates and where there's a huge upsurge of infections now. I'm somewhat more optimistic for those areas with higher vaccination rates that they won't see other lockdowns in autumn or winter. If herd immunity works as hoped for, I think there'll be areas starting next spring where movement will be more or less free.

Let me say though, I'm with you on the feeling of dread.

On Saturday, August 14th, 2021 at 11:54 pm, Nitrocosm said:

Perhaps masks and social distancing should always be required until or unless the pandemic ends. The cloth masks may not be effective and we might have to use the N95 masks, though.

I definitely encourage vaccination for all who can safely get it but, again, I'm not sure it's going to make masks and distancing unnecessary.

I agree on those accounts. I might add thatover here masks are and will be mandatory in stores and public transportation until spring of next year. At least. Also, cloth masks are no longer allowed, you have to use either disposable surgical masks or N95 ones (the latter are more commonly called ffp2 here, though).

One benefit was that the flu season during the winter '20/'21 over here was effectively cancelled - covid-19 is far more contagious than the flu or the common cold, so measures effective in suppressing the virus were simultaneously super-effective in suppressing them. That's one of the reasons I don't see the masks go away.

# 16160 2 months ago on Mon, Aug 16 2021 at 1:15 am

On Sunday, August 15th, 2021 at 12:21 pm, Doitsujin said:

On Saturday, August 14th, 2021 at 7:21 am, bates said:

I'd like to ask: how long did you expect this to drag on? I was under the impression - after the first lockdown - that we would basically remain under such a 'stage of siege' from the virus until we had developed and disseminated vaccines - and disseminated them to a level that we'd achieve herd immunity. What other pathway was there? The latter part - with the emergence of the delta variant - has made that outlook more unlikely anytime soon.

Relating to the above, I personally fear that things will drag on for a considerable time for several reasons: large parts of the world have received little amounts of vaccine so far. As long as not the majority of the world's population are vaccinated, and there's the possibility that new virus variants will emerge, this will be continuing. The delta variant rages in areas that previously managed to contain the virus (Southeast Asia, for example). And you have a situation that vaccination rates in countries are quite uneven: as I recall there's four states in the US in particular (Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and Florida) that have low vaccination rates and where there's a huge upsurge of infections now. I'm somewhat more optimistic for those areas with higher vaccination rates that they won't see other lockdowns in autumn or winter. If herd immunity works as hoped for, I think there'll be areas starting next spring where movement will be more or less free.

Let me say though, I'm with you on the feeling of dread.

On Saturday, August 14th, 2021 at 11:54 pm, Nitrocosm said:

Perhaps masks and social distancing should always be required until or unless the pandemic ends. The cloth masks may not be effective and we might have to use the N95 masks, though.

I agree on those accounts. I might add thatover here masks are and will be mandatory in stores and public transportation until spring of next year. At least. Also, cloth masks are no longer allowed, you have to use either disposable surgical masks or N95 ones (the latter are more commonly called ffp2 here, though).

One benefit was that the flu season during the winter '20/'21 over here was effectively cancelled - covid-19 is far more contagious than the flu or the common cold, so measures effective in suppressing the virus were simultaneously super-effective in suppressing them. That's one of the reasons I don't see the masks go away.

I think I took the "two weeks to stop the spread" thing more literally. Like, I didn't think we'd actually shutdown schools for a year and eventually having vaccine passports. It's pretty crazy to me. I had a bad feeling from the beginning of the lockdowns, but I didn't think it would go on this long or inspire such strict measures. I guess I just didn't consider it.

I just hope that once this pandemic is eventually declared over, we can truly eliminate all of these weird new measures as they will then be unnecessary. I agree with Nitro, I have a bad feeling about what this has inspired. It feels to me like there's been a shift in control that we won't get back - hope I'm wrong.

Lal controversial I know, but some good news for all of us is that Scott Gottlieb has predicted this Delta variant will be the last real surge before this pandemic truly ends. We can only hope and pray!

Have a happy New Year!

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:8

Most Recently Online
Kyler2 days ago
Nitrocosm3 days ago
Wolfwood294 days ago
Miroku3 weeks ago
Wakka3 weeks ago