Thread  RSS Covid Vaccine Requirements

# 16161 2 months ago on Tue, Aug 17 2021 at 7:51 pm

On Monday, August 16th, 2021 at 6:15 am, bates said:

I have a bad feeling about what this has inspired. It feels to me like there's been a shift in control that we won't get back - hope I'm wrong.

What's going on in France is ridiculous but what's happening in Australia is downright terrifying. People get in trouble just for going outside.

Holy... alright look I get it, stop the spread, but this is waaaaaay beyond just that. I'm not some conspiracy nut and never have been. This, though. Nuts.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16162 2 months ago on Wed, Aug 18 2021 at 4:15 pm

On Wednesday, August 18th, 2021 at 12:51 am, Wolfwood29 said:

What's going on in France is ridiculous but what's happening in Australia is downright terrifying. People get in trouble just for going outside.

Both France and Australia are full-blown police states right now. People can't protest it because that's also banned.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

# 16163 2 months ago on Thu, Aug 19 2021 at 5:21 am

On Wednesday, August 18th, 2021 at 9:15 pm, SirAuron said:

Both France and Australia are full-blown police states right now. People can't protest it because that's also banned.

It is crazy, but there's a worthwhile question here... why are they doing drastic measures? For purpose of being evil and suppressing the population? Hardly, but different, very specific reasons:

In France, unlike much of the rest of continental Europe, the infection rates did not go down during summer - which is something that happened last year, and also happened this year in much of continental Europe. In Europe, France also had the third-largest number of casualties from the virus (after Russia, Britain and Italy). People in France are protesting against the health passes.

Now Australia, they previously heavily isolated itself (including the fact that the borders between individual states have been largely closed) - and that isolation worked out as long as there was no Delta variant. Another factor is that Australia's federal government wasted the time and did not put up much effort for the vaccinations (compared to North America and continental Europe, they're far behind). Now Delta is spreading out of control in eastern Australia.

(This post was edited 2 months ago on Thursday, August 19th, 2021 at 5:21 am)

# 16164 2 months ago on Thu, Aug 19 2021 at 9:06 am

On Thursday, August 19th, 2021 at 10:21 am, Doitsujin said:

It is crazy, but there's a worthwhile question here... why are they doing drastic measures? For purpose of being evil and suppressing the population? Hardly, but different, very specific reasons:

Has any tyranny admitted to cracking down on the population because they were "evil"? It's almost always under the excuse of "it's for your own good". Just look at the history of your own country, hell, even mine, people were rounded up and put into internment camps "for public safety".

It should go without saying that there's a world of difference between rounding people up based on race, ethnicity, or religion versus whether or not they had a medical treatment and I don't claim that aspect is anywhere near the same, historically.

So, I'll take your reductio ad absurdum and say the supposed justification is irrelevant because the outcome is the same: Dis-empowerment of the public that is unlikely to end with the crisis.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

# 16165 2 months ago on Thu, Aug 19 2021 at 10:22 pm

On Thursday, August 19th, 2021 at 2:06 pm, SirAuron said:

Has any tyranny admitted to cracking down on the population because they were "evil"? It's almost always under the excuse of "it's for your own good". Just look at the history of your own country, hell, even mine, people were rounded up and put into internment camps "for public safety".

They aren't putting people into camps... yet. I don't know that they actually will.

The authoritarian stuff has to do more with enforcement. Lots of brutality against people just for not wearing masks, being outside, etc. Sure, people are being stupid. Treating someone like they're armed and dangerous because they're being stupid is going too far, I would have to agree.

Still dangerous, still have to take precautions, but no excuse for treating people like that. What's happening in Australia is out of control on both fronts. I'm going to say they have a problem with the Delta variant. Doesn't justify treating people like prisoners.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:8

Most Recently Online
Kyler2 days ago
Nitrocosm3 days ago
Wolfwood294 days ago
Miroku3 weeks ago
Wakka3 weeks ago