Thread  RSS The Metaverse

# 16192 2 years ago on Fri, Dec 24 2021 at 9:21 pm

You've probably heard at least rumblings about Facebook's plans to create something called the "Metaverse" and changing the company name to "Meta".

From what I've seen, it reminds me of a game / program called "Second Life" where people interact in a 3D environment as fantasy characters.

I think it's entirely possible that the interface for computers, phones, and Internet may transition to an augmented reality and virtual reality interface if the equipment is comfortable to wear and use as well as having sufficient battery life and processing power.

Is it a healthy future? I'm not sure. Could it be nice? In my opinion, there could be benefits.

Let's discuss!

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 16199 2 years ago on Sun, Jan 9 2022 at 9:17 pm

Personally I think the metaverse is a non-starter. I don't see any advantages to moving social media to virtual reality.

"Augmented reality" is better since you wouldn't have to stare at your phone all day. Living inside the Matrix seems like a pathetic future.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

# 16220 2 years ago on Fri, Feb 25 2022 at 10:15 pm

I'm not sure it will be called the "Metaverse" by the time it really gains mainstream usage. Facebook will likely not end up being the center of it, however.

What I envision is a virtual reality interface to the web with more and more sites having 3D environments associated with a new protocol for VR / AR. The transition from page-based web sites will be relatively slow but the new interface will likely be a 3D immersive environment with "screens" all around the user, mostly relaying the page-based web content of the site. In addition to this, VR-exclusive features will become more common.

It's a bit hard to predict but that's kind of what I imagine.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 16226 2 years ago on Fri, Apr 15 2022 at 2:33 pm

It's a reflection on the sad direction things are going where more and more things in life are centered around isolation and confinement indoors. If we're just going to lock ourselves away, that can't be healthy, physically or mentally.

On that note, has anybody heard of this creepy A.I. "companion" known as "Replika"? It was created by a woman who lost her best friend in an accident and found comfort in reading old text messages from him. I'm not sure how she made the leap to creating a simulation of new texts from him, but that's where she got started in creating this program. Origins aside, the whole thing looks like it morphed into a massive data-mining operation. Thoughts?

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16232 2 years ago on Fri, May 6 2022 at 6:46 pm

Metaverse is going nowhere, IMO. I really don't think people want to spend a lot of time with VR helmets on, not seeing what's around them in real life. I only envision either disabled people (for whom this could be a great benefit but a very niche application) or NEETs who have nowhere to be all day using this.

By the way, Meta (Facebook) isn't as popular as it used to be, I know a lot of my friends and co-workers either deleted their accounts a few years ago or never log on anymore. I left FB a long time ago. No chance of getting back on just to use VR stuff.

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:9

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago