Thread  RSS Mysterious Booms

# 11195 12 years ago on Thu, May 3 2012 at 3:30 pm

The fracking seems plausible enough to me. What's hard to understand is why they don't just come out and say that's what it is. There's theories that it could be from underground digging but the problem with that is dirt and rock don't just vanish into nothingness - if they're digging out these huge areas underground, there have to be piles and piles of dirt and rock building up somewhere nearby - or at least trucks carrying all that away. No reports of any of that.

C:>print_out_million_dollar_bill.exe

'print_out_million_dollar_bill.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external revenue service, operable profit, or bank file.

# 11551 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 17 2016 at 12:30 am

Ok, I know this thread is almost five years old but I'm going to revive it.

Those "booms" are still going on and they haven't yet figured out the source. Everyone's still puzzling over it and it's happening in a lot of different locations.

"If we didn’t know any better, it almost sounds like a cannon... it was so deep and just like, echoey."

Sounds like the descriptions from Clintonville, too.

EDIT: Well I have egg on my face... awkward

(This post was edited 8 years ago on Sunday, January 17th, 2016 at 10:58 pm)

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 11573 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 17 2016 at 8:56 pm
Post Image

Wolfwood, I think Yohji's probably fine; she just hasn't been around here for a while, like most of us.

There must be a logical explanation for these booms. I wonder if it's just that there's so much traffic (like heavy trucks with their cargo banging around as they hit potholes) and other industrial noise that a multitude of different things can cause these sounds - and it's not just one common source.

Then again, who doesn't enjoy a good mystery?

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 11579 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 17 2016 at 9:43 pm

I'm going to go tentatively with the fracking theory. I'm not against it but if it's more widespread, people are going to notice the associated noises more often. If they've never noticed it before, they'll wonder what it is.

It might also be that people are more on edge about stuff that sounds like explosions these days and that these noises have always been common (at least since the industrial revolution) - people are just more apt to panic now.

Interesting.

# 11584 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 17 2016 at 10:24 pm

That's a good point, EyeConduit. The noises very well have been around all along but people are just more prone to notice it, for one reason or another. The local news might also be having a slow day.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:14

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago