Thread  RSS Bill could penalize employees who decline genetic testing

# 13952 7 years ago on Sun, Mar 12 2017 at 2:57 am

I couldn't believe this when I first saw it.

Apparently, there's a bill going through Congress right now that could penalize employees for refusing to submit to genetic testing for "wellness" programs with their employers:

user link on www.washingtonpost.com

Are employees essentially company property nowadays? I'm shocked such a thing could even gain traction.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 13953 7 years ago on Sun, Mar 12 2017 at 3:44 am

That IS scary, Nitro. I don't know how the hell something like that wouldn't be thrown out immediately.

# 13964 7 years ago on Sun, Mar 12 2017 at 4:57 pm

Whoa! That read like something from a conspiracy web site. I was surprised to see it was the Washington Post.

I think the way it's intended to work is that it's technically "voluntary" but the cost increase on insurance is so high that it's not really as voluntary as it is on paper.

You'd think this kind of thing would be, and stay, illegal. It's along the lines of discrimination based on factors the employee cannot control.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 13967 7 years ago on Sun, Mar 12 2017 at 9:48 pm

Yeah that's the kind of stuff that should be off-limits. As that's a matter of personal privacy and it's none of their business. It should be outright illegal to require tests like that.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 13969 7 years ago on Wed, Mar 15 2017 at 11:20 pm

If the bill passes, I wonder if it will affect the economy or if most people will simply submit to it.

Using monetary penalities is an effective way to force the poor and middle class to do whatever these people want and that's wrong.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:10

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago