Thread  RSS After the space shuttle

# 9657 18 years ago on Thu, May 11 2006 at 2:22 pm

Since they're supposed to retire the shuttle fleet in 2010, I'm wondering about what NASA plans to do after the shuttes are no longer in operation. They're supposed to have 28 more flights before then, but at the rate they're going that doesn't look like it's going to happen. If they don't make some more flights in order to do some maintenance on the ISS, the station might only not be completed by then, but its orbit will decay. Of course, there's still the Soyuz and Japan has something in the works as well, so it's not likely to go to that extreme.

Speaking of the space station, they still have something like 8 modules left to install before it's completed.

So... does anybody think that private companies like Virgin Galactic will be brought in to develop the next official NASA spacecraft? Maybe they'll prototype the ShockShadow raspberry

# 9658 18 years ago on Thu, May 11 2006 at 2:37 pm

Well, successor for the space shuttle? I'm not sure, but you're bringing up something interesting there. I have no idea, really. And yeah, the worries about the maintenance of the ISS, those concerns are verymuch justified. It would be really a pitty if it had to be abandoned.

As for Soyuz, those things are a remarkable miracle. Basically a totally outdated design from the 1960's, but still working and apparently surpringly reliable. Unfortunately, the same thing cannot be said about the Space Shuttle.

cool

# 9659 18 years ago on Thu, May 11 2006 at 7:52 pm

"In Soviet Russia, rocket launches you!"

But I'd guess that something similar to Spaceship One would be what they're going for now. NASA did say something about going back to rockets after the shuttle was retired until they were able to use the next design.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 9660 18 years ago on Sat, May 13 2006 at 1:10 pm

Post by Wolfwood29 on Friday, May 12, 2006 1:52 am:

But I'd guess that something similar to Spaceship One would be what they're going for now. NASA did say something about going back to rockets after the shuttle was retired until they were able to use the next design.

grin

# 9661 18 years ago on Sat, May 13 2006 at 3:10 pm

Post by Wolfwood29 on Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:52 pm:

laughing

I think NASA will become partially if not completely privatized as entreprenuers see an investment opportunity in space tourism and perhaps mining the moon. Also, launching satellites could be a very lucrative business.

Doitsujin, I agree that the Soyuz are a really good option for right now. We'll probably use them for a while between the Shuttle's retirement and the next spacecraft.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:30

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku5 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago