Thread  RSS Dark Matter

# 10974 19 years ago on Tue, Mar 22 2005 at 9:44 pm

I was reading this article today and according to some computer models made from Hubble data, evidence of dark matter may exist nearby.

Hmmm.... I'm no scientist, but sometimes I wonder if speculation runs a little high when it comes to theoretical physics.

Still, there are some interesting things to consider dealing with the constant expansion of the universe. To think, if everything is expanding, time travel might be even more complicated because going back in time, you might find the world miniaturized compared to your present self.

.... but a scary thought.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 10975 19 years ago on Mon, Mar 28 2005 at 12:27 pm

I wonder if that's the case. If everything was expanding around you at the same rate, you'd never be able to tell if you were rapidly increasing in size. One thing is for certain, though. Even If you're increasing in volume, you are not increasing in mass.

Expansion of this kind would involve the amount of empty space increasing rapidly in every particle.

# 10976 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 30 2005 at 8:19 am

considering how much of each particle is empty space allready lends some evidence to this idea but if there was anymore space it would change the physical properties of the atom and therefore the material made from it.

decompose while driving car anyone

light does not travel in stright lines it just seems to

# 10977 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 30 2005 at 12:51 pm

If everything were expanding at the same rate, all the forces that act upon subatomic particles would change equally. In order for something to disintegrate, the forces that pull it apart would have to become stronger than the forces that keep it together.

With universally even expansion these forces would remain in balance.

# 10978 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 30 2005 at 1:48 pm

I think we've actually got things worng, though. It's not the space between every single particle of matter that's expanding, but rather the space in which matter can exist. It's more a macroscopic thing than a quantum one.

Hence why it's generally plunked in as part of astrophysics.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:21

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku5 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago