Thread  RSS Pioneer Anomaly

# 10994 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 9 2005 at 9:39 am

It's kind of like the formulas describing physical laws compares to how vector graphics work. You describe the overall form with a simplified pattern, yet the unknown bumps and irregularites don't get described with the pattern.

Just one of my weird musings

# 10995 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 9 2005 at 10:06 am

Yep, we fight with this with our robots. Testing every robotic algortihm in real is kinda impractical, so we use simulators. They are great and save you lot of work, but, eventually, they're just rough approximation and nothing can substitute real, life, testing. Reallity is always more interesting then some rigorous model. Altough, those models are getting considerably better, and who knows where it will be in few decades.

# 10996 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 9 2005 at 10:06 am

It's kind of like the formulas describing physical laws compares to how vector graphics work. You describe the overall form with a simplified pattern, yet the unknown bumps and irregularites don't get described with the pattern.

Yeah, I get it. Kind of a cool way to put it.

Was it Einstein that talked about pure marble vs. grainy wood? Meaning finding laws of physics that would explain everything as a consistent fundamental substance, instead of a series of kinda unrelated laws.

# 10997 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 9 2005 at 10:15 am

Yeah, I get it. Kind of a cool way to put it.

Was it Einstein that talked about pure marble vs. grainy wood? Meaning finding laws of physics that would explain everything as a consistent fundamental substance, instead of a series of kinda unrelated laws.

Possibly. It was Johann Wolfgang Goethe (Doitsujin will be happy) who said: "Gray, my friend, is every theory, and golden tree of life is green." (in Faust, if I am correct). That, pretty much, sums it up. And it's very true.

# 10998 19 years ago on Wed, Mar 9 2005 at 10:40 am

Trippy.

I did read that article posted a couple days ago. Interesting stuff, but I can't help but lean towards the possibility of instrument glitches.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:20

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago