Thread  RSS Why a new physics theory could rewrite the textbooks

# 11886 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 27 2016 at 7:03 am

Hello, forums people. Here's your dose of current events for the day:

Scientists are closer to changing everything we know about one of the basic building blocks of the universe, according to an international group of physics experts involving the University of Adelaide.

Source - user link on phys.org

I'll keep watching this.

It's no longer a question of staying healthy. It's a question of finding a sickness you like.

-- Jackie Mason

# 11893 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 27 2016 at 1:14 pm

This is definitely an article meant for nuclear physicists but from what I gathered, they've discovered that it's likely that the configuration of quarks inside of protons actually changes under some circumstances.

The rest of it eludes me. What are the implications of this possibility?

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 11896 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 27 2016 at 1:57 pm

The article doesn't really get into enough detail as it is. Maybe the details would be over most peoples' heads but it invites some speculation that might not be wanted.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 11902 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 27 2016 at 3:12 pm

There's a lot of things in current (more widely accepted) models that is predicted but not observed. Two examples that come to my mind would be proton decay and the neutrino-less double beta decay. The fact that there's no conclusive evidence (so far) for their existence suggests to me that either the standard model(s) are flawed/incomplete, or perhaps our detection methods aren't sensitive enough. I'll agree with Wolfwood, however, that the article is written in a very vague way.

# 11907 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 27 2016 at 6:44 pm

I could try to track down the actual paper, if that might help. This is a bit out of the scope of my field, so I may not understand it, either. But, it's interesting enough to try to track down.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:31

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku5 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago