Thread  RSS Announcement Thursday on Einstein's gravitational waves

# 12474 8 years ago on Tue, Feb 9 2016 at 7:28 pm

There's going to be an announcement this week regarding the first measurement / observation of the gravitational waves that Albert Einstein predicted.

Although I don't really understand the full "gravity" of this discovery (yes, pun absolutely intended), this seems like a rather big deal.

user link on phys.org

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12540 8 years ago on Thu, Feb 11 2016 at 10:52 pm

They announced it today and it had something to do with detecting the "sound" (actually the gravitational waves) of two colliding black holes. Physics isn't my forte so a lot of it was beyond my comprehension.

The buzz is that it's the biggest scientific discovery since the first telescope. Is it?

If you want to shine like a sun, first burn like a sun.

# 12541 8 years ago on Thu, Feb 11 2016 at 11:13 pm

Here's the latest about it:

user link on phys.org

It's going to take me a while to really parse this and I'm not likely to understand it any better. Ostensibly, they've observed oscillations in gravity traveling vast distances through space. That's about all I know right now.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12544 8 years ago on Thu, Feb 11 2016 at 11:58 pm

On Friday, February 12th, 2016 at 3:52 am, Quaz said:

The buzz is that it's the biggest scientific discovery since the first telescope. Is it?

It's a big deal in terms of being able to detect that which was previously not detectable, so it's huge in astronomy. It's significant in other fields too, given the implications and how Einstein was proven right but the astronomy side of it is what stands out right now.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 12594 8 years ago on Sat, Feb 13 2016 at 8:46 pm

That gravity is now confirmed to travel at the speed of light is insightful. The speed of light (in a vacuum) seems to be one of those fundamental attributes of the universe and not simply the speed at which light travels.

If you want to shine like a sun, first burn like a sun.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:31

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago