Thread  RSS In search of new Earths and life in the Universe

# 12633 8 years ago on Mon, Feb 15 2016 at 9:52 am

This was recently in the news.

Twenty years ago, in Geneva, PhD student Didier Queloz discovered a planet orbiting another sun – something that astronomers had predicted, but never found. Today he continues his terra hunting for extreme worlds and Earth twins in Cambridge.

Article: user link on phys.org

I'll keep watching this.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away.

-- Thomas Jefferson

# 12639 8 years ago on Mon, Feb 15 2016 at 7:45 pm

That's a fun article. Scientists keep finding more and more exoplanets.

While they haven't found anything quite like Earth, I'd imagine it's only a matter of time.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12641 8 years ago on Tue, Feb 16 2016 at 3:24 am

Given the vast scale of the universe, there are countless other "Earths" out there, just by probability alone. Finding some of them nearby is probably only a matter of time but we'll never know exactly how many there are.

Ever hear of The Drake Equation?

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 12654 8 years ago on Tue, Feb 16 2016 at 11:17 pm

On Tuesday, February 16th, 2016 at 8:24 am, Jovian said:

Ever hear of The Drake Equation?

Of course, although most the variables in that equation still require some assumptions.

Especially now since we know gravity obeys the speed of light (unless I horribly misinterpreted the recent discovery of gravity waves, please correct me if I'm wrong) I'd say the distances are way too vast for intelligent life on other planets to find each other across space.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:12

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago