Thread  RSS The heat goes on: Earth sets 9th straight monthly record

# 12708 8 years ago on Thu, Feb 18 2016 at 7:03 am

Get a load of this.

The January figures are in, and Earth's string of hottest-months-on-record has now reached nine in a row. But NASA said January stood out: The temperature was above normal by the highest margin of any month on record.

Link: user link on phys.org

I'll keep watching this.

It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.

-- James Thurber

# 12717 8 years ago on Thu, Feb 18 2016 at 10:59 am

Most of January was unusually warm where I live, that's for sure! We had more than a week of Spring-like weather.

I know global warming is considered bad overall because of the other nasty effects but it was nice having a relatively mild first half of Winter this year.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12777 8 years ago on Mon, Feb 22 2016 at 11:29 am

Just something to add here:

We had almost summer-like weather here on Saturday and back in Cincinnati it WAS summer-like weather at 75 degrees Fahrenheit! This was very unusual for February. I actually sat outside part of the day.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12784 8 years ago on Mon, Feb 22 2016 at 5:56 pm

Global warming, although this is technically weather and not overall climate change. We will, if the predictions are correct, see an overall increase in warmer winters but sometimes this will cause colder winters as increased heat in the Pacific ocean displaces Arctic air southward into North America.

Here in California, however, we're largely immune to this modified weather pattern.

If you want to shine like a sun, first burn like a sun.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:17

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago