Thread  RSS Electricity can flow through graphene at high frequencies without energy loss

# 12941 8 years ago on Fri, Mar 4 2016 at 11:03 am

Check this out. Have you heard?

Electrical signals transmitted at high frequencies lose none of their energy when passed through the 'wonder material' graphene, a study led by Plymouth University has shown.

Article: user link on phys.org

Um... so, yeah.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say fools because they have to say something."

-- Plato

# 12943 8 years ago on Fri, Mar 4 2016 at 3:32 pm

It would be nice if Phys.org were a little more cautious with their hyperbole. There's going to be some expected energy loss, even if it's greatly reduced with graphene - unless this really is some kind of superconductor at room temperature. Laws of thermodynamics, and such. Still, hell of a material, looks promising for the future of electronics.

Just to be clear, superconductors DO have zero resistance but I doubt graphene is a superconductor at room temperature. If it really is, that's AMAZING.

(This post was edited 8 years ago on Friday, March 4th, 2016 at 5:50 pm)

# 12949 8 years ago on Fri, Mar 4 2016 at 6:01 pm

The reduced thermal noise interests me. This could lead to ultra-sensitive radios! It's good news for us ham operators, potentially.

Superconductors are certainly an interesting phenomenon. How this doesn't violate the laws of thermodynamics baffles me.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:7

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 month ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago