Thread  RSS Snowden files set for wider release

# 13932 7 years ago on Sat, Mar 11 2017 at 6:16 pm

With all that stuff Snowden leaked and also Julian Assange with Wikileaks, I'm more worried about what Trump will do with the power to spy on everyone. Given how much he attacks the press, I think it's only a matter of time before it comes out that he was spying on the press with all the tools the CIA has.

Not that I don't believe that he was also targeted, just that now he's the one with these broad powers it's only obvious that he will abuse them too.

# 13937 7 years ago on Sat, Mar 11 2017 at 6:38 pm

It's certainly a valid point. Although, as stated earlier, while it's most likely prudent to avoid any politically-charged discussion, it stands to reason that any sitting president could end up abusing such broad powers of surveillance.

(This post was edited 7 years ago on Saturday, March 11th, 2017 at 6:38 pm)

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 13938 7 years ago on Sat, Mar 11 2017 at 6:53 pm

On Saturday, March 11th, 2017 at 11:38 pm, Jovian said:

It's certainly a valid point. Although, as stated earlier, while it's most likely prudent to avoid any politically-charged discussion, it stands to reason that any sitting president could end up abusing such broad powers of surveillance.

Sure - I get that. I just don't have a lot of confidence that the current U.S. president has the temperament to avoid the temptation to use these kinds of powers. To be fair, none of the other recent presidents have, either.

# 13941 7 years ago on Sat, Mar 11 2017 at 7:04 pm

It's REALLY HARD not to go on a big political rant against that man (I'm not a fan) but I share in your concerns that he will abuse the ability to spy on everyone. I don't personally think that the previous president tended to do such things (although he was accused of it a lot without evidence).

Mainly I'm worried about him using surveillance to find and deport as many people as he can.

I'll stop now as I know we're not supposed to get political.

If you want to shine like a sun, first burn like a sun.

# 13943 7 years ago on Sat, Mar 11 2017 at 7:18 pm

On Sunday, March 12th, 2017 at 12:04 am, Quaz said:

I'll stop now as I know we're not supposed to get political.

As long as we keep it civil, it's fine.

The main thing I want to avoid is emotionally-driven discussion instead of fact-driven discussion. As long as we stick to facts, it's fine, although I think I kind of broke that rule since my earlier comment:

On Thursday, March 9th, 2017 at 1:46 am, Nitrocosm said:

The Vault 7 leaks are just another indicator that the government has zero respect for the 4th Amendment.

...kind of breaks that rule since it was a statement of opinion rather than verifiable fact.

So, anyway, I'll agree that these powers of surveillance should not be in the hands of any president without the involvement of the legislative and judicial branches. Even then, I still think it's unconstitutional. No warrant, no wiretap.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:32

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago