Thread  RSS The End of Moore's Law

# 8721 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 10 2016 at 1:03 pm

Hey guys, check this out:

ntained, as the PlayStation sites, and obtains several of the game physi

# 8830 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 10 2016 at 2:13 pm

GIVE ME A BREAK. First off, the video is too long; I didn't watch the whole thing.

From the title, I just facepalmed. Really? This alarmist, Luddite B.S.?

While I don't believe in this "singularity" that Ray Kurzweil's always on about, I don't think that our technology is going to take over and destroy all life as we know it. That's paranoid garbage with no basis in reality. This guy is a KOOK.

Anyone with common sense would realize that as technology develops, safeguards are implemented. Accidents happen but our technology suddenly springing to life and judging humans to be "obsolete" is pretty damn stupid.

Sorry, but it's crap like this that's holding back technological progress.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 9027 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 10 2016 at 3:25 pm

Well said, Wolfwood. I've always found Stephen Forrest to be a little nutty, myself.

I wouldn't advocate throwing caution to the wind or doing anything immoral but there's too much fear-mongering in this presentation to pass muster.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 9029 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 10 2016 at 3:50 pm

Yep. I thought this might get people talking.

I don't agree with most of the fear mongering regarding artificial intelligence. Like Wolfwood said, as it's developed, safeguards will be implemented.

Our computers and machines will not have the tools or will to subjugate or exterminate humanity unless we specifically give them these things. As long as we don't give military weapons full autonomy, I think we're safe.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 9030 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 10 2016 at 5:18 pm

That's interesting.

Haven't heard much about that lately.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

-- Winston Churchil

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:39

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku5 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago