Thread  RSS RSS

# 9969 8 years ago on Tue, Jan 12 2016 at 4:14 am

I've noticed there's an RSS icon at the top of some screens.

Being a heavy RSS user myself, I checked out what these are for. Nitro gave me a quick run down and asked me to do an explainer if I wanted. Well, I'll do just that.

There's a "master" RSS feed of 10 (might change, I think) of the latest items across the whole boards.

Each topic has an RSS feed, too, again, the 10 most recent posts in the topic thread.

Then users have their own, 10 most recent that they've made.

Now for the fun stuff. What can you do with this?

On your phone, gReader and Feedly let you follow any RSS you want. If you're lazy (like me), and you don't want to log in every day to see what's new, these apps will notify you of new items if you like it to.

There's also a bunch of desktop programs that do RSS content. Personally, this is how I get my news - it takes 5 minutes to glance at a feed instead of 30 minutes to go through each site (with interstitials, takeovers, and other obstructive B.S.) and saves time.

If you want to shine like a sun, first burn like a sun.

# 9971 8 years ago on Tue, Jan 12 2016 at 12:20 pm

Thanks for doing the tutorial, Quaz.

I can change the number and length of items in all of the RSS feeds as needed. Let me know if the RSS content needs to be longer or if you need more total items in the feed.

I had considered making a "grab the whole system" RSS feed with all publicly-available content in a single download but decided that would probably be a huge strain on the server.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 10279 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 13 2016 at 5:07 am

I rely on it a lot!

My Feedly account follows your main site, Nitro, and also the main feed for this forum. Very handy indeed! yay Also I follow about 50 other sites, some web comics, mostly news.

(This post was edited 8 years ago on Wednesday, January 13th, 2016 at 5:07 am)

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

# 11115 8 years ago on Thu, Jan 14 2016 at 5:37 pm

Seeing how much work you were doing to grab old cached pages and pulling them into this new site, I would suggest extending the RSS so that anyone can grab a full copy of all the (public) forum data for safekeeping.

Just in case you go and do something crazy again raspberry

Interesting.

# 11120 8 years ago on Thu, Jan 14 2016 at 8:00 pm

That ain't a bad idea. If anything, it's a good backup in case anything happens.

I don't see why you'd ever want to delete it in the first place.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:25

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku5 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago