Thread  RSS The development of a smart desk for teamwork projects

# 11564 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 17 2016 at 10:03 am

Well, I can't say I'm surprised:

New technologies are changing the way people work; in recent years, many companies have tended towards using large open plan spaces, without individual offices, which help to facilitate teamwork. With this in mind, Pynk Systems is launching a new work concept called the "Ergon Desk". This smart desk has an ergonomic design incorporating movable elements, which can be adapted to both laptops and tablets; it is controlled by an application.

Link: user link on phys.org

Certainly noteworthy, I guess.

You can't get away from yourself by moving from one place to another. There's nothing to that.

-- Ernest Hemingway

# 11568 8 years ago on Sun, Jan 17 2016 at 7:39 pm

Ugh. No way. I would find that desk unbearably uncomfortable. I can't have anything on which I would bump my elbows.. not even arm rests on my chair (I've actually removed, with permission of course, the arm rests from my desk chairs at my past jobs) - so this desk would drive me insane.

Also, I prefer some amount of seclusion while working. To collaborate with others, I find it best to get up from the desk and talk with the other people on the team.

I think desks like this are weird ideas that companies come up with in order to squeeze more productivity out of their workers but they actually defeat that purpose by creating an environment where workers cannot concentrate.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 11593 8 years ago on Mon, Jan 18 2016 at 12:31 am

Offices that have their employees work at a desk like that are the kinds of places that would put you on a hamster wheel and in a cage if they could get away with it.

Who would want a desk that's so claustrophobia inducing? I don't mind the sitting around a round table working as a group but being surrounded by a notch in the desk would make me feel like I couldn't breathe. ick.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:7

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku4 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago