Thread  RSS New study will lead to more resilient and nutritious edible crops

# 11735 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 20 2016 at 7:03 am

Um... really?

New University of Adelaide research has reveal for the first time exactly how plants protect themselves from elements such as boric acid, which in soils at high concentration becomes toxic to plants.

Source - user link on phys.org

Duh, right?

In God we trust all others bring data.

-- Dr. Edwards Demi

# 11751 8 years ago on Wed, Jan 20 2016 at 10:00 pm

This discovery could contribute to making better, safer genetically-modified crops. I've had a few reservations about GMOs; not because they are inherently unsafe but because Monsanto has a monopoly on them and abuses their patents. I'm also not certain if Glyphosate is safe to ingest.

It's interesting how quantum tunneling plays into how the plants guard against boric acid. It'll be good to see how this knowledge is applied in new GMO seeds.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 11774 8 years ago on Fri, Jan 22 2016 at 2:24 am

Hell, I don't know what to believe on the GMO thing. My guess that most of it's safe but those pesticides aren't.

The only way we're going to know for sure is if we eat them for decades and decades and then see what the long term effects are.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 11777 8 years ago on Fri, Jan 22 2016 at 3:56 am

There's pseudoscience about how GMOs cause cancer but that's turned out to be a very unscientific set of studies. I can't blame you for not trusting Monsanto - they've got a lot of their own people in the FDA - but outside of the pesticide thing (do the crops absorb or contain the pesticides? I don't know) they seem ok.

If you're referring to the study with the rats with lots of tumors, that study was invalidated. The rats used had an abnormally high rate of developing tumors on their own.

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:31

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku5 months ago
Doitsujin6 months ago