Thread  RSS Forums Data Paulstretch

# 12645 8 years ago on Tue, Feb 16 2016 at 9:55 am

Don't ask why I wanted to do this...

The forums data was imported as raw audio. A noise filter was then applied to that audio. The processed audio track was then duplicated. The duplicated track was reversed and inverted. The two tracks were then panned hard left and right.

The resulting stereo track was then Paulstretched.

(This post was edited 8 years ago on Tuesday, February 16th, 2016 at 9:56 am)

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12649 8 years ago on Tue, Feb 16 2016 at 7:27 pm

Man, that's eerie. It reminds me of the "sounds" of various planets. Which is similarly spooky stuff. This means I'd use it in the same sort of context: creepy mood music for exploring some ancient or abandoned place in space, with some themes of madness and isolation.

Planet noise example below:

# 12650 8 years ago on Tue, Feb 16 2016 at 10:54 pm

Those are both really spooky. They remind me of early childhood nightmares.

I do have to wonder how much processing was done to get Jupiter's radio signals to sound like that.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 12653 8 years ago on Tue, Feb 16 2016 at 11:14 pm

That video of the sounds of Jupiter is one of my all-time favorite YouTube videos.

Helena, I'm not exactly sure what kind of processing NASA did on the planetary sounds but the recording I made started out just sounding like loud static. The noise filter brought out individual tones and then the Paulstretch changed it from sounding like a series of beeps to something actually eerie. So, it's a product of the forums data but mostly filtering in Audacity, to be perfectly honest. I think most random noise could produce a similar recording.

Jupiter (and most other planets) do produce actual radio frequency tones, however, and merely converting them to audio within the audible range is enough to produce... something. NASA may have filtered it a bit but I'm not sure.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12657 8 years ago on Wed, Feb 17 2016 at 3:10 am

Listening to that audio track you made through headphones gave me a really bad headache and I ended up getting sick tonight. I think it's probably a coincidence however but the headache started right when I started listening to it.

It was ok through speakers though.

sick

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:26

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago