Thread  RSS Abandon Social Media.

# 16368 9 months ago on Mon, Jul 31 2023 at 7:49 am

On Saturday, July 29th, 2023 at 10:35 am, Doitsujin said:

I think aggressive advertising on social media may have created a doom spiral there. The advertising made people use adblockers, which made social media come up with even more aggressive advertising (e.g. on FB, these days, I've been told, you have to skim through large piles of ads before you see content from your acquaintances), which causes people to use it even less.

Not just Facebook but most of the social sites, from what I've heard. It's a desperate attempt to make enough money off the few who don't use adblockers, whose numbers are dwindling.

It's all toxic. Not only is it a time sink but it drains your mental energy dealing with all of the forced content (stuff you don't want to see, not just ads). Just from browsing years ago I could see that's it's all stuff I'd rather not deal with.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16371 8 months ago on Fri, Aug 18 2023 at 3:09 pm

I ran ads on and off on nitrocosm.com (not the forums) but decided they weren't generating enough money to be worth how ugly they made the site layout. Ads are probably not the way forward when it comes to generating revenue. Ad blockers are commonly used and I use one, too.

Maybe some new features in these forums could be useful in replacing what social media offered, like a personal posts / blog page for each user in here. I'm not sure how much we'd use such a feature, though.

IMO, Elon Musk has made a series of bad decisions with Twitter and I don't imply anything political one way or another by that statement. Requiring login to view content and (planning for) the removal of the "block" feature were two extremely bad moves. I don't plan to use that platform anymore.

Meta's "Threads" site already seems to be in decline. Since I deleted my Facebook account over a year ago, I've no plans to return. They suddenly banned me from buying advertising without a clear explanation.

Replacing these sites might not be the answer. The death of social media and the return to small, niche forums and sites is what I envision.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 16372 8 months ago on Sun, Aug 27 2023 at 6:44 pm

On Friday, August 18th, 2023 at 8:09 pm, Nitrocosm said:

Replacing these sites might not be the answer. The death of social media and the return to small, niche forums and sites is what I envision.

It may go beyond that. I have some friends and co-workers that are opting for more offline activities than before. Books, offline console games, in-person tabletop gaming sessions, and watching old DVDs, to name some. My wife and I are thinking about joining a bowling league if this COVID s*** ever goes away.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 16375 8 months ago on Thu, Sep 7 2023 at 11:27 pm

On Sunday, August 27th, 2023 at 11:44 pm, Wolfwood29 said:

I have some friends and co-workers that are opting for more offline activities than before.

Some of the people I know are doing that too. Everybody's got their favorite haunts online, and I just avoid the big tech sites as much as I can, but the underlying idea is to not be "terminally online" as, sadly, so many are.

(This post was edited 8 months ago on Thursday, September 7th, 2023 at 11:28 pm)

It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full. There's clearly enough room for more wine.

# 16380 8 months ago on Thu, Sep 14 2023 at 10:28 am

Pffft, for some it's sour grapes (kicked off for being a jerk / violating the rules) and others just want to be hermits and not socialize.

I do get the idea that going outside and hanging out with real people is better than being online all of the time, but socials are good for staying in contact with friends and family that live far away, or organizing real-life social events.

Is it really that bad?

Waff-O! waffle

RP Character: Shell

User Image

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:25

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago