Thread  RSS Is YouTube Going Away?

# 15683 6 years ago on Wed, Sep 12 2018 at 3:30 pm

On Saturday, June 23rd, 2018 at 2:59 pm, Wolfwood29 said:

...There was an inexplicable removal of MIT Courseware and The Blender Foundation channels' videos recently.

That's nuts! I'd sure like to hear what the explanation for that is. I can understand them doing that to videos the staff doesn't like and hate videos but MIT and Blender seem pretty innocuous.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 15695 5 years ago on Tue, Oct 16 2018 at 9:18 pm

Well, YouTube has certainly gone away as of right now - although on a temporary basis.

It's interesting that one of the largest web sites on the Internet can experience an extended outage like this. It makes me wonder if this is a sign of things to come. Perhaps the site isn't as well-maintained on the back end as it once was. If that's the case, it's definitely a sign of things to come as it would indicate that Google / Alphabet does not prioritize the site in its budget. I wouldn't blame them.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15698 5 years ago on Mon, Nov 5 2018 at 10:35 am

It's likely they were testing something during that unexpected two-hour outage.

As long as Google's primary motive is to make money, YouTube will eventually have to be retired. If Google somehow wants to lose a lot of money to convert YouTube as an ideological platform, it may be re-purposed for that but it's not b***** likely.

Look at the YouTube TV subscription service. It's the only part of the site that has the potential to be profitable.

# 15707 5 years ago on Sat, Nov 10 2018 at 9:16 am

The monetization issue is probably going to be the catalyst. I can't see people investing the time and money to make videos (unless they are just starting out or are chronically unpopular... *ahem*) only to post them for free on YouTube.

Ad blockers aren't just used to cheat web sites out of money. They have become necessary due to security and device performance issues. I don't enjoy blocking ads but the last time I disabled my ad blocker, my web browser became very, very slow.

We're just going to have to start paying for content so the sites we patronize will have to be budgeted. Personally I don't find YouTube TV valuable so I just subscribe to stuff like VRV and Funimation (maybe Netflix at some point again in the future).

The Internet just isn't safe to allow ads so this is the only viable alternative I can imagine.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 15764 5 years ago on Wed, Jun 19 2019 at 10:43 pm

I think a paid subscription model will work out fine. It will also provide revenue for smaller sites to provide service and the Internet giants should lose their stranglehold on the web.

Many "news" sites are having serious financial troubles already. YouTube's on the rocks with its creators.

Just a matter of time now.

Enjoy the show. smiley

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:11

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm1 week ago
Lexica2 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago