Thread  RSS IRC and XMPP (Jabber)

# 12930 8 years ago on Wed, Mar 2 2016 at 12:06 am

It's not clear if we'll really need to use this but Nitrocosm.com hosts an IRC server and a Jabber server for extra chat capabilities, if anyone is interested.

The IRC server is just irc.nitrocosm.com, no SSL/TLS quite yet. The main channel is #Main.

The Jabber server is chat.nitrocosm.com and as of right now I have to create accounts manually (I might allow automated sign-ups in a little while).

Certainly we have a functional chat system built into the forums but if you'd like something a little more portable (useable with a client of your choice), these are options.

EDIT: No one was interested in using these (including myself) so I went ahead and disabled the IRC and Jabber services.

(This post was edited 8 years ago on Friday, March 11th, 2016 at 2:20 am)

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 12931 8 years ago on Wed, Mar 2 2016 at 5:57 pm

We use an internal Jabber server at work - it's pretty neat. Totally encrypted and separated from the outside world. I don't use Jabber or any kind of chat outside of work except for the built-in group chat here.

I might be around the IRC channel from time to time.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

# 12935 8 years ago on Wed, Mar 2 2016 at 9:06 pm

Wow, I haven't used any sort of chat client in years. IRC's pretty old school, might be fun to play around with it some time but I'm not likely to be on it regularly.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 12940 8 years ago on Fri, Mar 4 2016 at 1:13 am

That's kind of a neat concept to host your own chat system. I used to use ICQ years ago but never got into any of the other services.

Interesting.

# 12946 8 years ago on Fri, Mar 4 2016 at 3:49 pm

I don't really hang out much in IRC anymore these days but I'll check from time to time to see if people are in there.

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:19

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm2 months ago
Lexica4 months ago
Wolfwood294 months ago
Miroku5 months ago
Doitsujin5 months ago