Thread  RSS Seven New Earth-like Exoplanets discovered

# 13913 7 years ago on Wed, Feb 22 2017 at 9:24 pm

NASA announced today that they have discovered seven exoplanets that are within the habitable zone of their star. Being in this zone, it's likely that the planets are rocky and have liquid water.

user link on www.nasa.gov

Pretty exciting news.

73's, KD8FUD

User Image

# 14077 7 years ago on Sun, Apr 9 2017 at 11:41 am

I've heard of this! Its an amazing discovery. The question is if these planets are actually suitable for supporting life, given that they orbit a red dwarf.

# 14085 7 years ago on Wed, Apr 12 2017 at 4:40 am

Sounds really cool. Looks like quite a few potential Earth-like (within say, a certain range) planets have been found, sadly none within range of space travel over a single human life span.

Don't find fault, find a remedy -- Henry Ford

# 14111 7 years ago on Sun, Apr 23 2017 at 9:02 am

They found yet another one, this time much closer by: user link on hosted2.ap.org

It's still too far away for humans to reach within a reasonable timeline, but maybe it's easier to observe more details about it.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -- Carl Sagan

# 14181 7 years ago on Thu, Jun 8 2017 at 11:53 pm

I'm pretty sure since the announcement of this discovery, they actually discovered even more exoplanets closer to Earth. Too lazy right now to dig up the link though.

"Dangerous toys are fun, but you could get hurt!"

Return to Index Return to topic list

Forgot password?
Currently Online
Users:0
Guests:7

Most Recently Online
Nitrocosm3 weeks ago
Lexica3 months ago
Wolfwood293 months ago
Miroku3 months ago
Doitsujin4 months ago